Ssd and storage drive raid

MrShoehorn

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I need some help setting up a raid array. I've searched through some stuff and I haven't been able to find anything extremely helpful, I probably just missed it, but I would love to get some help directly.

Here's what I have:
A new 160gb
1.5tb sata drive that has my existing windows install
Extra 2tb and 1tb sata drives.
Msi 760gm-p35

Here's what I'd like to do:
Create a windows 7 install on the ssd and use the 1.5tb drive as storage. I'd like to have that drive mirrored to a 2nd drive, if possible to the 2tb drive, if that's not possible then I could purchase another 1.5tb drive. I would like to keep the data on the existing 1.5tb drive.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
you can use Windows' RAID functionality to mix and match the storage and use any harddrives. But then you are trusting windows won't fail.

You can also use other backup software which is not RAID, but satisfies the backup requirement.

If you want to ensure reliability, you will use the RAID functionality from your motherboard which will require you to use 2 matched harddrives, and then you can recover not relying on any setup.

Again if your purpose is backup, you want to make sure it works and not depend on Windows being up or your third party software.
There's no point in doing backups if you never can figure out how to do a successful recovery.