I5 Lifespan

G

Hi i have Intel core i5 processor and at 100% cpu it hit around 95-99 degrees. I know this isn't normal -.- and I know its either the heatsink or heatpaste but what I want to know is how badly the life span on my i5 would be effected if I ran it for an hour. Please give me your best estimations whether its in hours or days.

Thx :D

G

srry 99c

G

I know that and this is only at 100% i just want to know how it would effect my lifespan if I ran it for 95-99 degrees for an hour.

do u reckon it could be faulty thermometers?

Unlikely. Possible but unlikely.

I recommend redoing the HSF and thermal compound to reduce the temps as this is most likey whats causing the high temps..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000085&IsNodeId=1&Description=artic%20silver%205&name=Thermal%20Compound%20/%20Grease

What is sounds like to me that the thermal compound has air bubbles in it, resulting in poor thermal transfer from the cpu to the HSF.

You'll need to take the HSF off and clean the thermal compound off both the cpu and HSF.

(for some reason i cant remember what you need to use to clean the the thermal compound off the top of my head. :pt1cable: must be the heat here, but im sure someone else remembers. :pt1cable: )

After that, apply some themral compound to what the maker of it say to do it. Like AC5 compound instructions for core i5

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

This should bring down the temps.

G

thx for that I will check the thermal paste when i can be bothered :D. The only problem is now my computer is at 49 degrees and i only have 2 programs running atm yet the back of my computer where the air blows out doesn't feel hot at all.

thx for that I will check the thermal paste when i can be bothered :D. The only problem is now my computer is at 49 degrees and i only have 2 programs running atm yet the back of my computer where the air blows out doesn't feel hot at all.

You definitely need to re-install the CPU/heatsink using good industry established practices.

The fact that your CPU is overheating while the air exiting the computer does not feel hot, indicates that there is an inadequate thermal bond between the CPU and the heatsink.

Re-install.

G

I think it is the heat paste in the system. Btw the cpu chip won't melt until 120 degrees but im worried tht other components might. Im sure it is the heat paste because i didn't configure the speed of my heatsink properly and now it will do an averge of 42-44 instead of a 44-50 -.-. Still the i5 should be cooler anyway instead of 42 it should be 39 degrees so yeah im gonna fix it.If anyone could at least give me some kind of estimation to how much life my i5 has left then tht would be extremely helpful if doesn't have to be a precise answer other then that

thank you everyone who has helped me :D

and if I have any more problems I will be sure to post them :)

I think it is the heat paste in the system. Btw the cpu chip won't melt until 120 degrees but im worried tht other components might. Im sure it is the heat paste because i didn't configure the speed of my heatsink properly and now it will do an averge of 42-44 instead of a 44-50 -.-. Still the i5 should be cooler anyway instead of 42 it should be 39 degrees so yeah im gonna fix it.If anyone could at least give me some kind of estimation to how much life my i5 has left then tht would be extremely helpful if doesn't have to be a precise answer other then that

thank you everyone who has helped me :D

and if I have any more problems I will be sure to post them :)

The estimated future life of the CPU cannot be accurately forecast.

Go ahead and re-install the CPU and heatsink using AS5 thermal compound, and you should be ok. Wipe off the old compound using an alcohol swab, and hold the CPU by the edges upside down. This will prevent the alcohol from finding its way into the CPU.

The lifespan of any computer component depends on the owner.

As soon as the CPU, video card, etc. becomes too slow for your personal taste, then it is near the end of it's lifespan. That can be 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, etc. from the 1st day you use it.

Well said ;)