Sign in with
Your question

Kingston HyperX 3k freezing and BSOD

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2012 4:04:21 AM

Hi,

Yesterday I installed a new 120 gb Kingston HyperX 3K, but it's been giving me trouble. At random times programs will freeze up, but I can still move my mouse for about 30 seconds until the entire PC crashes to a BSOD (the stop code is something like 0000F4). I know it's the SSD acting up because this problem doesn't surface when I switch back to the HDD. I've tried everything I can think of, and yes installed it with AHCI set in my bios. Should I just try to RMA it? Here is my system:

Amd Phenom II 955
Nvidia gtx 560ti
8gb ram
500gb Western Digital HDD
120gb Kingston HyperX 3k
Windows 7 64 bit
Asus M4A88TD-V Evo motherboard
a c 539 G Storage
July 27, 2012 4:34:55 AM

Check your SSD to see if it is on its latest firmware version; if not then update it.
Also wouldn't hurt to update your motherboard's BIOS to its latest version.
m
l
July 27, 2012 6:00:43 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I already checked those. I updated my MB to the latest bios, but from what I could find the SSD doesn't have any new firmware updates.

Here is a list of what I've tried:

Changed SATA ports and cables
Updated motherboard bios
Tried using both Asus' and AMD's AHCI drivers
Reinstalled windows using both AHCI and IDE modes
Used regedit to make sure AHCI was turned on
Use the command prompt command to see that TRIM was enabled
m
l
March 19, 2014 10:51:30 AM

i have the same problem, had the computer since oktober. Today when i booted it froze after 5 minutes, then the hyperx ssd wouldnt even show up in bios. I also tried changing Sata ports, reset bios defaults etc. After hard reboot the ssd show up in bios, but it freezes everytime 5 minutes after booting windows. Any suggestions except the mentioned above?
m
l
!