Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Yet Another <$1k Gaming Rig. A more experienced pov, please?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 6, 2010 1:42:55 AM

Alright gentlemen, I think I'm done building this thing, but I'd like some input from people probably a bit more experienced than me before committing to buy.

Everything's coming from newegg, and the pricetag is $991 atm, perfect for my $1k goal.
Monitor: POS old lcd, to be replaced eventually, but that's not in my budget atm.
Goal: WoW/Sims3/SCII max graphics and smooth gameplay.

Looking for advice on.. Compatibility, if anyone can catch something I didn't see. General opinions on the build, anything that could be done better or cheaper, etc.


Processor: Phenom II x4 955 (I've heard the 955 is superior/equal to the 965 once it's overclocked.)
(To be upgraded to the x6 in the near future.)

CPU Cooling: Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK
Newegg.com - Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler

Mobo: EDIT- Was going to get an openbox, then read up on what "open box" really means at newegg.. so now thinking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Which actually puts me more comfortably in my price range, and gives me a little leg-room for other components. I know it's not fantastic for sli/cfire, but to be fair, I never got around to actually doing sli on my last sli-intended rig, so I probably don't need it.)

GPU: HIS Radeon 5850
Newegg.com - HIS H585FN1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER
Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Power Supply: AZZA Dynamo 850
Newegg.com - AZZA Dynamo 850 850W ATX & EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1tb
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory: A-DATA 4GB 1333
Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD3U1333B2G9-DRH


Thanks in advance!
June 6, 2010 6:17:02 AM

jming1084 combo is good...the PSU brand you pick is not good and the reliablity of your PSU is one of the most important component of your system and that determines how long and well you ssytem works.

double check your mobo website and make sure the ram is compatible with it

the rest looks good :) 
Related resources
June 6, 2010 10:03:08 AM

650w should be good even with a second 5850 crossfire and a small OC...as long as you get a good PSU

but you can go bigger if you want to 750w but you shouldn't need more then that
June 6, 2010 11:35:04 AM

Sixshades said:
Alright gentlemen, I think I'm done building this thing, but I'd like some input from people probably a bit more experienced than me before committing to buy.

Everything's coming from newegg, and the pricetag is $991 atm, perfect for my $1k goal.
Monitor: POS old lcd, to be replaced eventually, but that's not in my budget atm.
Goal: WoW/Sims3/SCII max graphics and smooth gameplay.

Looking for advice on.. Compatibility, if anyone can catch something I didn't see. General opinions on the build, anything that could be done better or cheaper, etc.


Processor: Phenom II x4 955 (I've heard the 955 is superior/equal to the 965 once it's overclocked.)
(To be upgraded to the x6 in the near future.)

CPU Cooling: Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK
Newegg.com - Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler

Mobo: EDIT- Was going to get an openbox, then read up on what "open box" really means at newegg.. so now thinking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Which actually puts me more comfortably in my price range, and gives me a little leg-room for other components. I know it's not fantastic for sli/cfire, but to be fair, I never got around to actually doing sli on my last sli-intended rig, so I probably don't need it.)

GPU: HIS Radeon 5850
Newegg.com - HIS H585FN1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER
Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Power Supply: AZZA Dynamo 850
Newegg.com - AZZA Dynamo 850 850W ATX & EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1tb
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory: A-DATA 4GB 1333
Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD3U1333B2G9-DRH


Thanks in advance!

A few comments:
1. You're missing the DVD Drive.
2. Are you getting the scythe because its a low profile and will fit into the narrow rosewill case? Actually the scythe is not very good cooler and far down the ladder of the cool and quiet CPU HSF. see here:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=242...
3. But if you decide to get better HSF, you might need to replace that rosewill with a wider case.
4. Lastly, if that is just a gaming PC, you can get the X3 440. It will not bottleneck the single 5850. Check this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3-440-ga...

If you follow 4, you can save a few bucks and use that to get the DVD Drive, a better HSF, Case or PSU.
June 6, 2010 6:16:24 PM

randomkid said:
A few comments:
1. You're missing the DVD Drive.
2. Are you getting the scythe because its a low profile and will fit into the narrow rosewill case? Actually the scythe is not very good cooler and far down the ladder of the cool and quiet CPU HSF. see here:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=242...
3. But if you decide to get better HSF, you might need to replace that rosewill with a wider case.
4. Lastly, if that is just a gaming PC, you can get the X3 440. It will not bottleneck the single 5850. Check this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3-440-ga...

If you follow 4, you can save a few bucks and use that to get the DVD Drive, a better HSF, Case or PSU.



First off, thank you. :) 

I have the dvd drive in my cart, I just forgot to post it here. It's just a low-end asus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Was getting the scythe because it fit and because it seemed to be the best value inside of my price range. With the 955 I'll only be ocing to ~4.0GHz, so I figure a mid-range HSF would do.

I am, however, changing my case selection to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (I'm pretty sweet on Rosewill for this machine.)
So there will be a side fan to help out a bit, and if I find it to be running warmer than I'd like, I can install a better hsf.
Plus, it has a window for all my pretty pretty blue ***! Wish it had a temp display, but what can you do.

I'm pretty stubbornly sticking with the x4 955. :)  It was hard enough talking myself down from the 1055T, lol. It's not just for gaming-- It's also for gloating.


For the PSU, changed it to this combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Which was actually cheaper than what I had, so that's great. Not modular, but the case is a bottom-mount, so I'm just fine with having wires lying at the bottom of my case.


I'm pretty thrilled with the help I've gotten here, for the record! You guys have boosted my quality AND lowered my costs. Good stuff. :D 



Big question on my mind atm:
How does that motherboard look? It seems too cheap to be as good as it looks on paper, and it has SO few reviews.. but the 5 it does have are all glowing, I like the gigabyte brand, and it does look awfully nice on paper..
June 6, 2010 6:58:27 PM

Motherboard is fine for a single card. Enjoy.
June 6, 2010 6:59:31 PM

Crossfire capable
June 6, 2010 9:58:24 PM




An asrock motherboard?
I haven't had any first-hand experience with the brand, but they seem to be REALLY hit or miss. Aren't they a bargain subsidiary of (already a bit shaky, in my experience..) asus?

I'm not shooting down the recommendation, I'm just really unsure about them.
June 7, 2010 12:39:57 AM

Mobo is important so i would go for a better brand.
June 7, 2010 7:26:06 AM

Sixshades said:


I'm not shooting down the recommendation, I'm just really unsure about them.


No worries : drop down to Xtremesystems forums (AMD subforum) and have a look at bros doing with their Asrock 800 series mobos ^^ Knowledge = Power hehe
June 7, 2010 1:52:55 PM

Sixshades said:
First off, thank you. :) 

I'm pretty stubbornly sticking with the x4 955. :)  It was hard enough talking myself down from the 1055T, lol. It's not just for gaming-- It's also for gloating.

He he he... I like your answer... I wish I could afford it myself. :) 
!