• CPUs
  • Computer
  • Socket
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 4:09:37 PM

Hi all!

My friend build a computer and it ran for about 10 minutes before it broke down. Totally dead, nothing on screen. Not even any printouts from the graphic board.

We have replaced all parts (including motherboard) except the CPU. He has a Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 with LGA775 socket.

I have in my older computer an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3,0GHz) Socket 775.

Is there any risk to insert this older CPU into my friends new computer? I mean, are all socket 775 compatible or could there be difference of voltages etc?

Maybe this is a noobish question but I will be grateful for an answer.

(note! the new computer has not been overclocked and no voltages has been changed)

regards
Andy

More about : lga775

a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 4:29:20 PM

no you can transplant the CPUs

try it and see if it works
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2010 3:32:32 AM

Quote:
I have in my older computer an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3,0GHz) Socket 775.

Is there any risk to insert this older CPU into my friends new computer? I mean, are all socket 775 compatible or could there be difference of voltages etc?

Maybe this is a noobish question but I will be grateful for an answer.

(note! the new computer has not been overclocked and no voltages has been changed)

regards
Andy

If the motherboard can run a Q8400 then it can run an E6850, it might not work if it was the other way around though. I would try and find out why the original build died first, what was the PSU, graphic card? was the HSF secured? Was there an electrical short?
!