I have a PC with 1GHz processor and 256mb RAM hoe much it could be upgrated

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If you do not know the motherboard model download CPU-Z and under motherboard it might list the motherboard.

After you know the model of the motherboad or if you have a prebuilt computer like a DEll/ Acer/ HP you can go to www.crucial.com and put in the information and it will tell you the type/speed/size/Max Memory supporter by that board/system.

Then you can search for the lowest price on that size/type RAM on the new (IE: Newegg or other websites.)

pakistan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

my some system spasifecation are
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Compaq
System Model Deskpro
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~996 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Compaq 686P2 v2.11, 4/5/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 256.50 MB
Available Physical Memory 69.28 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 625.40 MB

Depending on the ram slots you have in there, you could get some more ram,

but it appears that,

One, it is an old system and
Two it,is a 'pre-build' I.e. mass-produced item with low quality nameless parts, you could get some ram,
But to be honest, get a budget together and post your requirements on the homebuild section,
You'll be surprised what you can get for 5-600 that will make you smile when you push that on switch
Moto

That is a Pentium III system and you actully have the fastest processor that it can run besides a few Tualatin's which were built for servers at the time but I have a feeling thats a slot 1 system so that is the fastest processor you can use. Now that system could do some web browsing but thats about it and even that will be very very limited most Java games online will not work and I believe flash video which is youtube and stuff like that will not work period but it will surf fairly good besides those two things. If you do anything upgrade the RAM to at least 512 MB but besides doing that to it its pretty much worthless. Take my word for it I have a few old Pentium III's and I really have no clue why they are still in my basement...

With XP (and shared video memory) 512mb would be minimum.

I'll guess you have an Intel 815 chipset which supports both PC100 and PC133 SDRAM. The best thing for you to do would be to purchase a single stick of 256mb PC133 (about $20US).

The 2 sticks should work together giving you 512mb of memory. If the memory in your computer is PC100, then the clock speed of the PC133 will be down-clocked to 100MHz.

The max memory of the 815 chipset is 512mb --- that's the best you can do. If your motherboard has an AGP slot you may be able to find a used video card which will help performance greatly (system memory is shared with the 'intergrated' video of the 815 chipset).

Which is the point some folks are trying to make. You want to improve your system performance, but throwing more money at your current system will provide a minimal return in performance.

But extra memory always helps.

Most of those Deskpros had a via chipset and I believe it was limited PC100 at a size of 256MB per dimm.

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Wrong! He's running a Pentium 3 Coppermine core (Possibly a Copppermine-T), all P3s from the Coppermine onwards were Socket 370. Not slot 1, that died with the Katmai P3.

Also he maybe able to upgrade to a slightly faster Coppermine-T CPU, but it depends on the systems BIOS. He will not be able to run a Tualatin P3 unless his board is a newer one and supports the voltage requirements (and knowing Compaqs I highly doubt it!)

Also a P3 can be a decent system for someone, but it really depends on what they want to do with it.......

runswindows95

Distinguished
Overall, better off rebuildinga new system. I have rebuilt Pentium 3's recently, but I had spare RAM and hard drives for them. If it was my system, I wouldn't have bothered. The only thing worth upgrading is more RAM. After that, not worth it.

Where do you see any info on it being a socket 370 also your wrong too because coppermines came in slot 1 and ppga370 packages yes they were trying to phase the slot 1 out do to higher cost but they were still made. I mean you might know something I dont but hell give me the info so I know not like it matters but would be interesting to know.

jeroly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Even if it's a coppermine you can get a tualatin if he gets a socket adaptor.
You can also upgrade the RAM.
You might first try just overclocking the existing CPU to boost your performance - that's a free upgrade! There's an outside chance it might damage your existing system, however, so be sure that you are willing to take that chance before trying it; having said that, I've been overclocking for years starting with my P3 Coppermine CPU in 2000 without problems.

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

The Slot 1 CPUs were very rare at higher speeds and from experience I've never seen a deskpro with a Slot 1 interface above 800MHz. And I mean very rare I've only ever seen them in high end blade servers from around then.

Also in addition to the last post you cannot run a Tualatin on a Slotket! I know from experience.