Sign in with
Your question

Can't find Volt and mA info about a hard drive

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2012 10:19:53 AM

Hello everybody. :) 

Can anyone help me finding tension (Volt) and current (mA) information about this hard drive:

EXTERNAL HARD DISK HDD 1000GB 2,5" USB 2.0 Seagate STSHX-MUD10EA

formerly known as:

Samsung HX-MUD10EA/G2

?

I searched the web with Google and found its specs but those two values are always missing.

Thank you so much for your help! :) 
Alex
July 27, 2012 2:54:10 PM

External hard drive -- you must want the external power adapter specifications, not the one for the drive that is inside the case.

For the US the volts/amps/polarity is marked on the outside of the external shell near the power connector on the device itself. It will look like this: http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference/polarity.htm (the top two symbols will have numbers next to them)

The same symbols will be on the external brick if you still have it.

edit: better description of symbols http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols
July 27, 2012 3:48:02 PM

tsnor said:
External hard drive -- you must want the external power adapter specifications, not the one for the drive that is inside the case.

My fault. That's not what I meant.

I haven't got this external drive yet, I need those specifications to decide whether to buy it or not. I have to connect it to a TV digital terrestrial decoder (I'm in Italy) whose USB port has these features: USB 2.0, 5V, 500mA max.

Any suggestions?
Related resources
July 27, 2012 9:58:53 PM

All USB 2.0 ports have standard voltages. The 5V and 500Ma are standard.

Once they say USB 2.0 you know they connect.

You do not need to match up the drive specs to the TV digital terrestrial decoder specs. The standards bodies did that work for you already and don't allow people to say USB2.0 unless they conform.
a b Ô Samsung
a c 87 G Storage
July 27, 2012 11:14:16 PM

All 2.5 inch hard drives use a standard 5v power supply with the exception of Western Digital Velociraptor hard drives that still use 12.

tsnor is correct, all the work has been done for you already
!