SSD/HDD/MIX for My Gaming Build - PLZ HELP!!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
PLEASE HELP.
I'm going to build a new system, hopefully next week, this is it:
1) GPU: Asus Nvidia Geforce 670GTX DC2T

2) CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz s 1155 8MB, GPU Core (box)

3) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77

4) Case: Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Graphite Special Edition

5) PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750AXEU Gold AX750 Modular (still to be decided - might take the HX750Wat)

6) RAM: 2X8GB G.Skill Ripjaw-X DDR3 1600Mhz

7) CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14

8)SSD: Crucial Solid Series 256GB CT256M4SSD2 SSD

NOW, #8 I cannot decide what to do.

The build is for hardcore gaming, I thought buying 256 GB SSD should be enough to run both system and games. But then I would need to devide it somehow (C:\ and D:\ To give the system enough room) I don't know if 256 GB is recommended or even enough.

Some say that SSD should never go over 75 % load, otherwise you get performace drop.
Other guy at shop thinks SSD works a single thing at a time" so you can load it with too much (yeah it sounds silly).

>>> So the question is, whats the most optimal SSD/HDD choice/formula for a gaming system like mine? <<<<<

Please recommend models, volumes, company names, and explain why.

Thanks.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I wish SSD wouldn't be in such a passage state, the price, tweaks are needed.... this is not good.. The tech is in its dipers I guess..

I dont want to use too many drivers. and well I play alot of game at once.

Many recommended me to put the games I play and OS on the SSD, and storage on HDD.
But I have very minimal to none storage.

I can buy 128 GB SSD + 500 or TB HDD, but that will cost more than a single 256 HDD, and then I will need to put ONLY OS on the 128GBSSD.

I wanted my games to run on the SSD man If I could buy 528 GB SSd I would, but that costs too much..

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Well this are the prices here in Israel:
Crucial 128 = 160 $
Crucial 256 = 270 $
Segate Bar' 500 GB = 100 $
Segate Bar' 1.5 TB = 136 $ !

So I think, maybe I should invest 74 more $ and buy:
Crucial 256GB + Segate Barracude 500 GB = 370 $..
What do you think?

256GB is optimal for SSD speed and if you can afford it it is a solid plan. Crucial M4 is a good choice.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I don't really need more than 500 GB, I have 326 GB on my current rig, and I never crossed half of it, even with many games installed.
So yeah:

Crucial M4 256GB + Seagate Barracuda 500 GB.

Do you think I need to create seprate partitions C:\ for windows and D:\ on the SSD itself, or its better to install OS and some frequent games on a single partition SSD?
Somthing like:
256 GB SSD: Local disk C: OS and some games.
500 GB HDD: local D: extra games and storage.

Thanks so much for the help.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
You want to go ONLY SSD. It makes the gaming experience and overall computer usage way more pleasent.

the great news is the following: SSD prices are coming down insanelly fast. The truth is you can get a 250GB SSD today for $350 and that will run your system fine for some time. When it gets filled to 200GB of data, a new 250GB will be $150, and you can afford a new one.

You will not play and finish/complete 200GB of games in a month, will ya?

Sidenote: If you getting only one SSD for your system, there is no need at all to divide them into C: and D: Keep everything in C:, be simple and enjoy your system. What you need to do, is to have a nice backup system. I recomend a external 1TB HDD, you can wait a few weeks to get one, build your PC first.

Now wich SSD to get? honestly amigo, they are all the same. Crucial and OCZ are the most popular brands, not only they have name in the market, they have the best prices too as they sell fast. Just get the cheapest one.

If you only have half of 326GB then you will have plenty space on a 256GB SSD with close to 100GB free.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Ok got, no division to C: and D:.

Thanks for the help, I guess I can take your advice, although I don't know if prices will go down as fast as your'e hoping, at least not here in Israel (Please see the prices I mentioned above).

Also I will set my windows restore not too high (with my rig its 13%) like 7 % or something, so it won't eat alot of space.

When I install a clean format, is it also NTFS or is there something new to it?

Btw, I am going to install Windows 7 64 bit.
Thanks again, tell me what you think of my build now :)!