Sign in with
Your question

OCZ Vertex 4, questions on updating firmware advice needed

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2012 2:28:39 PM

I recently built a new pc using the vertex 4 as my bootable storage drive for common used programs and have a 1tb secondary drive for my other data and games. I believe I am running firmware 1.3 on the vertex . I have read about the performance improvements granted by updating to the latest firmware on the vertex but I am concerned about losing all my data. From what I understand a updating to 1.4 is a destructive wipe of all data , and now 1.5 is out with even better performance.. Do you guys recommend updating the firmware? If so , is it possible to move all my data to secondary disc and then move data back after udpate, if so.. how? Thank you in advance for the advice with this matter..
a c 180 G Storage
July 27, 2012 2:40:35 PM

1.5 is a major update for the vertex that should be done.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 27, 2012 4:04:27 PM

You should do a backup, but usually data isn't destroyed with a firmware update.
But if something goes wrong, it's always good having a backup.
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 4:05:53 PM

How would I go about updating my drive without losing all my data,settings,etc?.... Any idea on how I can transfer to secondary drive , update firmware, then transfer back ?.. I finally got my new pc build working great and am a bit scared to mess things up ..
m
l
a b G Storage
July 27, 2012 4:16:40 PM

You can use Windows Backup,, if you have Win7 Home Premium, or use something like Acronis True Image/Norton Ghost.
m
l
July 27, 2012 4:18:26 PM

When reading about it I read that I need windows running on the other drive thenupdate ssd?
m
l
July 27, 2012 4:26:28 PM

mad-max79 said:
You can use Windows Backup,, if you have Win7 Home Premium, or use something like Acronis True Image/Norton Ghost.

ing windows 7 professional .. I made a backup to other disc but am running "create system image" now to my secondary drive ..? Im pretty confused with how to go about doing this ..
m
l
July 27, 2012 4:38:08 PM

Thank you for your help thus far.. Im reading the guides and have to admit im feeling a little overwhelmed.. Im beginning to question if its even worth going through all this trouble , I forsee a day of hairpulling and extreme frustration if I mess up the drive or lose my data...
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
July 27, 2012 4:41:17 PM

Just thought you should know there is another firmware update (1.6) in the works.
m
l
July 27, 2012 6:06:02 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Just thought you should know there is another firmware update (1.6) in the works.

Should I wait till 1.6? Any chance that update will not require a wipe of HD?
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
July 27, 2012 7:56:34 PM

I don't know. However, with all the firmware updates I am beginning to think OCZ released the Vertex 4 ahead of schedule. I can't help but wonder whether OCZ completed validation before releasing the ssd. The first technical reviews were published at the beginning of April. Normally I recommend wating six months to see if any problems or issues arise.

To be fair, there have not been any serious glitches, issues, or problems. The firmware updates were more like improvements. It seems to me OCZ could have waited until the ssd was fully developed.
m
l
!