PL to s specific server - can I avoid that server?

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Hi,
I'm having packet loss from a specific server (4.69.139.105) on the way to my destenation server (217.163.29.143).

I was thinking, can I avoid that packet losing server? I mean, can I config. something somewhere so I avoid a specific server at all times?

Thanks

Not really. Routing is controlled by the Internet itself, not individual end users. Normally if some Internet router is having problems (and it should be detecting that same packet loss), the network will reroute traffic automatically (eventually).

Is this a recent problem or something that’s been on-going for quite a while?

Of course, if the problem is the endpoints (e.g., failing network adapters, for example), and you control those servers, you need to address that yourself.

P.S. One way to possibly avoid the problem (at least temporarily until it is rerouted) is to use a public VPN service and *maybe* avoid that trouble spot. No guarantees, but at least there’s a chance. Or maybe use a dial-up Internet connection, or even remotely dial-in to the destination (assuming it's not VOIP of course).

I realize none of these may be possible/practical solutions. But I wanted to at least provide some suggestions.

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Thank you,
2 more qs,
1. Is there a chance that my ISP can control my routing (sadly it's not their server) ?
2. Can I cmplain to the server owners? Can I contact someone (yes I have the details for server and it's domain).

1. Only if it's THEIR server/router.
2. Sure, assuming it their server that's the problem, not some intermediate server/router.

It's all about who controls what. When it comes to the Internet, we're all inter-dependent, control is distributed and flexible (at least over time). But if someone drops the ball, it can cause problems. As I said, if it's one of the major interconnects that’s having a problem, there's little you can do but complain to its administrators. Fortunately, the bigger the interconnect, the more ppl who will complain and hopefully get things fixed that much sooner.