New heatsink for lga775 Dell e510

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I just installed a Pentium D 945 from a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz, yes i know a stinky proc that you can smell miles away :p. You can also cook marshmellows :lol:. So my questions were:

1.) Im not sure if there is a standard heatsink plug for the e510 or if it will fit. I can't seem to find one, does anyone know if it has one? (I unplugged a plug-which was attached to the fan- which was located below the heatsink, then put it back in after instalation. Would this be it? There is also a power plug above, but i think this is for the processor... I might be missing something so if i need to I can pull the heatsink off and look again.)

2.) If I can upgrade the stock cooler what would be a good LGA775 that i might be able to use on future builds? I heard about one, but now i can't remember which it was. Artic Cooler somewhat thing... :lol: Maybe there is something better out there??

3.) Are there any 'heat readers' that i can put on my proc so i can get a temp for the proc?

4.) My fan right now is running full tilt and won't stop, ive felt the heatsink and it is cool to the touch. When i restart it, it stays silent untill i play a game, then it revs up untill its at full tilt. Then it seems stuck on full tilt... Anyone have any sugestions? (Edited to add this question :))

I would think this possible, but Dell, HP, ect likes to make sure you buy a NEW computer not UPGRADE the OLD one :lol:.

So Thanks Ahead! :hello:

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I just poked around more, and it looks like im out of luck with getting a new heatsink. I hear though i can get a normal case fan and put it at the end of the heatsink as an exaust?? And this is going to sound really noobish :lol: but this means that i have the heatsink air coming in from the heatsink fan, then taking the hot'er' air out of the heatsink and into the case. Then I could put my second fan on the rear grill to increase air flow. Would this work better than what i have going?

And i would still like the answer to question number 3/4 :lol:. (Edited to make more sense :lol:)

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I thought that the air was already moving into the heatsink and toward the back of the case. Wouldn't this impede on air flow? And i see the clips you are talking about, but there isnt a set of clips where the diagram says there is. And the picture for the shroud/heatsink is all messed up, even if there were clips there, i would never have room to install a fan in the shroud itself, the heatsink is in the way.

Oh, i just looked at a forum saying that they upgraded their heatsink, but you have an error message every time you boot up since it doesnt have dell's hardware... Do you know?