Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need advice for reliable and quiet hard drive (1 Tb)

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2012 9:40:49 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a new HD and I'm still not too sure which one to choose

I want a 1 TB drive and my priorities are reliability and then quietness.

The drive is mostly going to be used for storage and games (whatever won't fit on my SSD) so I'd rather have a drive that has acceptable performance (no green drives...)

Right now I'm considering either a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or WD Caviar Black,

I'm not too sure about the reliability of the Samsung drive since it's been bought by Seagate and because it only has 1 year of warranty, should I be concerned or it's not an issue?

For the WD Caviar Black a lot of reviews say the drive is noisy, and since I'm also using this PC as an HTPC overall noise is an issue. I'm not just too sure how bad it is... any comments on this?
The drive doesn't have to be silent, just quiet enough so that it won't make more noise than what I already have.

Current system :
- Antec Three Hundred Illusion (all fans on low)
- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
- Intel Core i5-2500K
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
- Corsair TX750 V2
- Crucial M4 128GB
- 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600

I'm planning to add a GTX660 or 7870 in a few weeks (probably MSI or ASUS),

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, is there any other drive I should consider?

Thank you
a b G Storage
July 27, 2012 9:59:49 PM

I wouldn't buy an hd with a 1 year warranty unless you get it for at least 1/2 what the wd drive cost which has 5 year warranty I believe. I've got 3 wd black 1tb drives in this machine, and you can hear them not sure what else to say on that.

Reliability is just going to be individual opinions, and not much else. There is no solid data stating which drive is going to last the longest thus the warranty being important.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 27, 2012 10:09:25 PM

get the green drives, they are quieter.

But they will still be loudest item in your system if the fans are low .
You will physically need to dampen the noise with enclosure or some other means if you need quieter than that.

If you want specific recommendations check out some of the reviews here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section13.html

You should also look up reviews of the Video card you intend to buy to make sure it's quiet.
Techpowerup does a good job measuring the noise. Be sure to check out your candidates there.

Here for example are their thoughts on this particular Asus 7870:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7870_Direct_...

"Under load however the fan ramps up a lot, resulting in a noisy card. Noise levels in 3D are even higher than NVIDIA's GTX 680, which is over 20% faster. I think ASUS overoptimized temperatures, at the cost of noise levels."

On an MSI 680:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_680_Lightnin...

The MSI GTX 680 Lightning is significantly quieter than the NVIDIA reference design in both idle and load. Together with the triple slot ASUS GTX 680 DC II, the card is the quietest GTX 680 we tested so far. Nevertheless, I think that MSI could have easily made the card even quieter, as it is running only 65°C under load. This would have provided some additional headroom for noise reduction.

They don't go back to update their old charts, so you have to look up each candidate separately.
Related resources
August 19, 2012 4:10:49 PM

Best answer selected by dalaran.
m
l
August 19, 2012 4:11:18 PM

Thank you for your answers and sorry about the delay, I wasn't quite sure about the performance of the green drives so I had to free up some time to do some reseach.

As far as I can tell I'm not sure 1 tb green drives would be fast enough for me when gaming, but it seems 2tb drives are usually performing a little bit faster and also a bit closer to what I'd obtain with standard 7200 rpm drives, and in most cases they don't really cost much more.

I've narrowed it down to this drive
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

I was basically looking for a drive with more than 1 year warranty, from a manufacturer I could trust

If you have any other suggestions they are still welcome, I'll probably buy the drive in a week or two

As a side note for anyone who might stumble on this thread, I also considered the following drive
Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
It has 3 years warranty instead of 2 and is built for 24x7 usage, at first I thought it might be more reliable so I was leaning toward that drive but, after some research I found out that using these drive on a standard desktop system is a really bad idea.

Here's what I found out about the WD AV-GP drives
Quote:
Not For Desktop Use
Unlike desktop hard disk drives, the AV-GP is designed to skip error correction in favour of completing commands on time. This prevents a disruption of the video or audio stream due to time-consuming error correction routines at the expense of some bad data. This is great for CE-type applications like recording video and audio streams off cable or CCTV feeds. A few off-colour pixels are far less noticeable than a few missing frames.

However, no one can accept bad data in a desktop or server environment. When we copy a document to a hard disk drive, we expect its content to be 100% identical to the original. If a bit is determined to be bad, we expect the hard disk drive to correct the error before writing it. It would not do if the drive simply ignores the error and writes the bad bit in order to ensure it completes the operation on time.

Source :
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=733&pgno=4

Another side note, I'll be getting the following videocard which seems to be very quiet
MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
m
l
!