Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Pogoplug slow transfer speeds

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 27, 2012 10:17:44 PM

Hey all,

So I just set up my pogoplug series 4 and am very disappointed with how slowly files get transferred to and from the device. Within my network, I am getting speeds of anywhere from 500 kb/sec to 1.5 MB/sec. I tried opening the ports on my router and setting my firewall to minimum setting, but I'm still getting such slow speeds. Granted I'm connecting through a USB 2.0 connection, but bottleneck should not be the USB at speeds that slow.

I did an internet based speed test and I'm getting about 30 MB/sec download and 5 MB/sec upload speeds, so I don't think that should be the bottle neck either.

Any help would be appreciated.
a c 88 G Storage
July 27, 2012 10:54:48 PM

Pogoplug is extremely slow due to poor design. Not your fault, all the user reviews indicate this
Score
0
July 28, 2012 1:09:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you have an low cost alternative? I'm willing to pay more than the $100 I paid for the pogoplug as long as it is worth the money.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 88 G Storage
July 28, 2012 1:13:21 AM

bchen7106 said:
Thanks for the reply. Do you have an low cost alternative? I'm willing to pay more than the $100 I paid for the pogoplug as long as it is worth the money.


Have you tried using Dropbox? It's a similar solution, but many times better
Score
0
July 28, 2012 1:40:37 AM

Yeah, I've already got a dropbox account. I just don't want to pay the ongoing fee to have that sort of a cloud solution. I've got about 500GB of media that I want to serve.
Score
0
a c 88 G Storage
July 28, 2012 1:51:22 AM

bchen7106 said:
Yeah, I've already got a dropbox account. I just don't want to pay the ongoing fee to have that sort of a cloud solution. I've got about 500GB of media that I want to serve.


Yeah I understand that. Pogoplug is constrained by the upstream bandwidth of the site which the device is attached to, which is usually your house. Very few people understand this and Pogoplug tried to market around it by saturating their advertisements with buzzwords; this failed miserably. Residential connections usually have gobs down downstream bandwidth available but upstream bandwidth is usually quite anaemic in order to allow for more downstream bandwidth. If you want to use cloud storage you will have to be prepared to accept a recurring cost
Score
0
July 28, 2012 2:05:34 AM

I guess I'm willing to pay a certain amount of a recurring cost. But to serve 500GB of media, I think the cost would be obscene. 500 GB on dropbox is $500 a year! And I don't think it would even be that much speedier than my paltry 500kb/sec pogoplug. Are there other devices which can offer me more speed? What if I just built my own NAS box?
Score
0
a c 88 G Storage
July 28, 2012 2:11:01 AM

bchen7106 said:
I guess I'm willing to pay a certain amount of a recurring cost. But to serve 500GB of media, I think the cost would be obscene. 500 GB on dropbox is $500 a year! And I don't think it would even be that much speedier than my paltry 500kb/sec pogoplug. Are there other devices which can offer me more speed? What if I just built my own NAS box?


The reason Dropbox is more expensive is because it is an actual cloud service. Pogoplug actually serves the data from the location that the device is hooked up to. If it is hooked up inside your house, then it will serve it from your house. The software layer serves as a broker to connect the remote device and the storage location to each other but that's it.

Dropbox actually makes a full duplicate of everything that you want to synchronize and shares it from their beefy storage servers rather than your house. The initial synchronization would take quite some time as the 500GB would have to be uploaded to Dropbox first before it can be made available to you remotely but once it is uploaded it will be downloaded to your other PCs extremely quickly.

Dropbox also keeps revisions of files as well which has saved my ass a few times.

The only way to make pogoplug more effective would be to purchase an internet package with a higher upstream bandwidth.

Alternatively you could just get a portable 2TB storage drive and lug that around. More compact ones can be had in sizes up to 1TB
Score
0
July 28, 2012 3:01:24 AM

Yeah, no I realize what pogoplug is doing. Just didn't know it would be so slow. I just don't get why I can get upload speeds of 5MB/sec from my ISP, but when it comes to the pogoplug, I'm getting less than 1MB/sec. And that's even within my network.

I have the free dropbox account and it doesn't seem terribly fast either. Plus I just can't justify $500 a year.

I may just resort to "lugging" around an external hard disk.

Thanks for the input though.

B
Score
0
a c 88 G Storage
July 28, 2012 3:05:06 AM

bchen7106 said:
Yeah, no I realize what pogoplug is doing. Just didn't know it would be so slow. I just don't get why I can get upload speeds of 5MB/sec from my ISP, but when it comes to the pogoplug, I'm getting less than 1MB/sec. And that's even within my network.

I have the free dropbox account and it doesn't seem terribly fast either. Plus I just can't justify $500 a year.

I may just resort to "lugging" around an external hard disk.

Thanks for the input though.

B


Are you sure you're getting 5MBps and not 5Mbps? 5MBps = 40Mbps. 5Mbps would be around 625KBps which would explain a 500KBps transfer rate on Pogoplug. Very few ISPs over residential upload rates of more than 5Mbps.

B = Byte

b = bit
Score
0
July 28, 2012 11:03:20 AM

Indeed you are correct. I can't believe I made such a silly mistake.

So I guess the conclusion is that the bottleneck is my ISP, huh? Does that mean that if I were to get a dedicated (more hard-core) NAS, I should expect the same transfer speeds?
Score
0
a c 88 G Storage
July 28, 2012 7:54:07 PM

bchen7106 said:
Indeed you are correct. I can't believe I made such a silly mistake.

So I guess the conclusion is that the bottleneck is my ISP, huh? Does that mean that if I were to get a dedicated (more hard-core) NAS, I should expect the same transfer speeds?


Exactly, a NAS would suffer from the same constraint. You could look at some cloud offerings such as Amazon's Web Services but again, be prepared to pay a periodic cost
Score
0
!