Sign in with
Your question

Computer is so slow at start up ?

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2012 11:10:18 PM

Whenever I start up my computer it takes about 15 seconds to get to the login screen , then it takes about another 15 seconds to show desktop and after that I have to wait about 20 seconds , then oovoo pops up I exit out , then I this random AMD CMD opens and I have to wait for that to close. After That My computer is terribly slow for about 10 minutes , and then it acts really fast again , Loading web pages in a second or instantly.

*PC SPECS*
AMD 6970
I7 2600k
8GB's ddr3 ram
WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200Rpm 64Mb Cache HDD

If I get an 128GB Ssd , I know it makes my computer start up faster , But will everything Load faster and Allow my computer to get to top speed in less time ? I really don't know how to word it but you know when you start up a computer the internet it a bit slow for a few minutes , Unless you have , Well thats what im asking , Will an SSD Make it much faster at start up. Also Im upgrading my internet from 20mbs to 50mbs. So will those 2 things combined let me really see a difference in internet speed / Start up speed ? Thanks

More about : computer slow start

July 27, 2012 11:21:03 PM

getting an SSD doea make the computer alot more faster but from what i read i seem to think maybe their is a program (spam virus IDK) thats running at startup
m
l
a b G Storage
July 27, 2012 11:27:44 PM

the 30seconds or so to get to the desktop seems normal.
The 10minutes of "slow" is something else running at startup. You will have to figure out what it is.

If you really can't figure out what software you had (or virus) that might be causing it, I bet if you go through the trouble to reinstall windows fresh, it'd get rid of it.
It can be some automated process that is updating or even a virus program doing a virus scan, or any sort of thing.

You can maybe try to view your msconfig to view startup programs to get a guess at what it might be, or try viewing taskmanager or use other utility to see what is running during the slowdown.

20mbps to 50mbps is an increase in internet speed, but probably not in latency.
So your internet will only be faster in that if you were downloading HUGE files where you were waiting minutes or hours for download to complete, that will be 2.5x faster.
If you are just complaining about lag in games or viewing webpages, this will not be faster.

SSD will make your boot faster, BUT it can also speed up your internet experience in that it will allow your browser to do it's diskcache and other disk stuff faster. Even chrome has to futz around with diskcache which slows it down.
I will wager that SSD will make surfing the internet "faster" more so than changing your internet speed.

m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 11:38:25 PM

Start Menu -> Run/Search -> type "msconfig"

Tab -> "Startup"

Here you'll find all the programs/executables that run when your computer starts - try to turn some of those off.

This will only help with startup time after reaching desktop - if you want to reach your desktop faster get a SSD

And SSD will also speed up many items' loading time after hitting the desktop.

I suggest keeping a good eye on your msconfig + buy a SSD, there are also cheap harddrive cloning tools now like Acronis True Suite (free with some harddrives like Western Digital)

m
l
July 28, 2012 4:50:40 AM

Thanks for the replies guys , I have Norton 360 6.0 and I know that's a resource hog but I heard they were making it use less resources , I'm very careful with the stuff I view/download my computer is very organized and I know all the programs I have , So No Viruses there. I over exaggerated at 10 minutes to allow me to go on chrome but it takes a considerable amount of time to speed up. Maybe 3-5 minutes ? I will check msconfig and turn off some unneeded programs at start up and I download a lots of files from either steam or just things on the internet so 50mbs will help a lot. Ill report back in a few hours , What SSD Would you guys recommend? I want to spend no more then 120$ on it ? IF that's possible
m
l
July 28, 2012 5:05:54 AM

Wow , I turned off skype and steam I tunes and some other stuff at start up. I was able to access Google chrome in in about 1 minute. Just wow. There's a lot more programs at msconfig like Amd Dual core transcoder !? Whats that , I Literally don't know whats necessary at start up and what is useless programs
m
l
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 12:49:19 AM

I'd also get Defraggler (there's an option to defrag boot time) as well as CCleaner.
m
l
December 19, 2013 6:05:18 AM

tony245 said:
Whenever I start up my computer it takes about 15 seconds to get to the login screen , then it takes about another 15 seconds to show desktop and after that I have to wait about 20 seconds , then oovoo pops up I exit out , then I this random AMD CMD opens and I have to wait for that to close. After That My computer is terribly slow for about 10 minutes , and then it acts really fast again , Loading web pages in a second or instantly.

*PC SPECS*
AMD 6970
I7 2600k
8GB's ddr3 ram
WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200Rpm 64Mb Cache HDD

If I get an 128GB Ssd , I know it makes my computer start up faster , But will everything Load faster and Allow my computer to get to top speed in less time ? I really don't know how to word it but you know when you start up a computer the internet it a bit slow for a few minutes , Unless you have , Well thats what im asking , Will an SSD Make it much faster at start up. Also Im upgrading my internet from 20mbs to 50mbs. So will those 2 things combined let me really see a difference in internet speed / Start up speed ? Thanks

m
l
December 19, 2013 6:07:16 AM

I have the ame problem with my startup I really don't know what to do. do you know where I can find help?
m
l
!