Fan not turning on graphics card

n22cke

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hello,
my pc wont boot keeps restarting its self i've taken side off and all fans are turning except the one on graphics card is this what is causing my prob ?? its a radeon x700 256mb comp is about 5 years old ! but not been used much thanks guys

tan007

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

the only solution i have found is to use the ati control panel and use the "balanced" settings this way the fan will work normally and only start working at full speed when it is needed to, but those settings are used when the laptop is running with battery, i always use my laptop connected to power, so runing in balanced mode will only make me loose graphic power, the card runs slower!

randomkid

Distinguished

But his PC keeps restarting so I doubt he will get into the ATI control panel at all.

randomkid

Distinguished

What is your motherboard? does it come with onboard graphics? If yes, can you try removing the radeon x700 first and see if the computer will boot.

Take the card out and clean it. Second remove the fan and disassemble it then get any grade motor oil or WD40 and a q-tip then lube the central bearing of the fan once done reassemble. The fan should work after that stage if not look into either a new cooler or replace the card which is cheaper depending on the cooler.

tan007

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Your posts are always so inspring......

How is ATI control panel going to help make his video card fan spin? Likely the fan died, therefore you either need a new video card or you need to use onboard graphics.
hey...u'r right.

but may be possible that fan is okay and I thought that if he changed the settings in a wierd manner then that might have caused the damage to make his fan stop spinning however if there is no fan spinning then may be most negative thought is that graphics card might have died.But thinking optimistic always lead to a good solution,BTW,thanks............

Lets try to concentrated his problem and help him.