Looking for monitor recommendations to use with my Radeon 5850.

stevedave

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I have a radeon 5850 and it has an hdmi output so I am assuming that getting a monitor with hdmi is the way to go. Beyond that I really don't know what to look for. I am still using my 21ich dell crt monitor that I got several years ago.

I don't need anything top of the line but I am willing to spend a couple hundred bucks for one. As far as size again it doesn't really matter just a big as possible but willing to go smaller for better quality.

Any help is appreciated since I really have no reference point to know how nice 1920X1080 resolution looks or how much a 5ms response time improves my gaming experience. I'm not looking to do any sort of dual monitor setup or anything like that. Just a single monitor.

I have all the other parts for my new PC just need this.

Thanks.

I started off years ago with a 19" CRT monitor. Lasted 5 years before it became useless. I swapped up to a 22" wide screen.The first thing I noticed was the fact that the screen seemed 2" too short to see everything right. Seems to have cropped the top of everything you used to be able to see with 4:3 resolution. I got tired of this monitor for several reasons and decided to swap up again. After seeing with my own eyes many different monitors ( friend has a custom computer shop ) I* decided to get this....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043
It brings back the fullness of what you should be seeing, puts you in the game in FPS, and looks way better than the 1680x1050 of the 22"'er. I paid $289 and got free shipping and it's well worth the price I paid. Stay away from the wide screen T.V. resolution screens. Get a 19x12 or a 16x12. When the girls say bigger is better.... it's reality man...... trust me.

I see the links not working...... this one

Hanns·G HH-281HPB Black 28" 3ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(800:1) Built in Speakers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043

Fiftynineseventy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Bigger is not always better, that is real world reality.

A 5850 will feel the performance decrease between a 1920x1080 and a 1920x1200 depending on his games. Not to also forget you're telling him to add a chunk of change more. Now we're talking $150-$300 monitors to $300-$600 monitors.

Wide screen vs full screen monitors offer very little in overall difference of computer enjoyment. The 19x10 will offer a great movie watching experience and works grandly with gaming. 19x12 will provide a larger desktop view space. If you want to save some money, the 19x10 route is much more worth it.

No performance decrease. I have a 5850 amongst others and everything plays fine at high settings without any problems. Mostly FPS including Crysis, and FarCry2 for examples. And who said the monitor I suggested costs $600..... just you. Check the price yourself. And I wouldn't suggest something if I haven't been down that road before. How many different big monitors do you get to sit behind and try out ? Having the screen height back while gaming is a great asset to have after using monitors with the image "stretched" out on wide screens. I'm not saying they're bad but there is a difference.

Fiftynineseventy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
To correct, I said the 19x12 reso monitors fall within a $300-$600 price point, that qualifies yours. I do like the monitor though.

However, there is little need or rational in spending $300 for a monitor that won't perform or offer much if any overall experience difference from a monitor that costs close to or under $100 less than what you're recommending. A 19x10 monitor will provide more than enough real estate and movie watching enjoyment for the average user, and at a cheaper price on the wallet.