Synology DS412+ or a homebuilt Server

winther

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hey!

I think im going to get some sort of server for myself so I dont have to have alot of harddrives in my gaming rig.

At first I was going to go for the Synology DS412+, I know its mainly for small businesses and the pracetag is quite noticeable, but the fact that it holds 4 drives, the design and the nice applications and functions just made me want that one.
BUT now I am considering getting a small formfactor case (maybe the BitFenix Prodegy) and make a media server with that instead, so I was hoping some of you guys would come with some suggestoins or something?

Also I would like if someone could share some experiences on using the DLNA function on the DS412+ :)

And one small thing at the end, can anyone direct me to a good guide on RAID and the different types - I dont really know what it is so I would just like to expand my knowledge.. :)

Thanks in advance

jerwal

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hey Winther,

Building your own would sure be cheaper from what I can see. Small form factor are nice but don't leave a lot of room for further expansion.

A nice raid guide:
http://www.icc-usa.com/raid-calculator.php

I was using a netgear stora at one point and the web interface stopped working on it for some reason, so I saw it as a blessing in disguise and decided to build my own using nas4free.

Sorry I can't tell you anything about DLNA, it A feature I have but don't use much!

If you need help being pointed in the right direction for hardware let me know.

Kind regards,

Jerwal

winther

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
thanks for your answer!

well if you have a little time to find some good suggestions for hardware then I would apreciate it!

But, I would like it to me smaller than normal ATX borads, preferably mATX so that its small but still have 6 sata ports and the possibility to expand. also prefferably a good 7.1 onboard soundcard.
Right now im thinking about the ASUS Maximus V Gene. the color scheme fits my new idea great and it has a good onboard soundcard.
other than that I think about a 3570k processor (becasue I want to use the graphics unit in the CPU)

and btw, it should also be able to play 1080p video so that I use it as mediacenter. so really I need something that is good for both a small homeserver AND meadiacenter.

If there are other cheaper/better options then please let me know! :)

G

Hi,

Joanne from Synology here. If you are wanting a 4-bay NAS but something a little smaller, take a look at the DS411slim. A 4-bay compact NAS.

Very cute with high performance power!

winther

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
I have considered that one, but it only holds slim or 2.5" harddrives right?

that point is that I already have 4 good drives, and they are 3,5" drives..

dinodc

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hi,

Joanne from Synology here. If you are wanting a 4-bay NAS but something a little smaller, take a look at the DS411slim. A 4-bay compact NAS.

Very cute with high performance power!

Hi Joanne, I was looking at getting a ds412+ mostly for its media capabilities in particular streaming video (Hi-def, incl. some bluray rips with high bitrate). I realise it is aimed particularly at business users but the multimedia isn't talked up as much as other aspects. I am just wondering how well it would cope streaming these especially when wrapped in MKV?