BIOS/ Windows Problems

Killer Carebear

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hello All

I recently built myself a computer, nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

Even though everything went together fine, I am still having trouble with some things. I have definitely not risen from the noob status, so would like some support.

Enough of my life story, my problem is:

I cannot get windows to autostart. I know on commercial systems, whenever you hit the power button Windows automatically starts up. I am not sure if this is even possible to do on a home-built system, but worth asking.

Also, none of my BIOS/CMOS settings seem to be saving, and I (think) it is posting everytime.

Whenever I power on my machine, this is the menu that pops up:

"
A7597NMS V1.1 061709
AMD Athlon (tm) II X2 240 Processor

DRAM Frequency for DDR3 1067 (Unganged Mode, 64 bit)

Initializing USB Controllers .. Done.
2048MB OK
USB Device(s): 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse
Auto-Detecting SATA 1 .. Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting SATA 2 .. ATAPI CDROM
SATA 1: Samsung HD502HJ 1AJ1DO E4
Ultra DMA Mode-6, S.M.A.R.T. capable and Status OK
SATA 2: ATAPI iHAS324 Y BLIY
Ultra DMA Mode-5
Auto-Detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ..
00 USB Mass Storage Devices Found and Configured

CMOS Checksum Bad
Press F1 To run setup
Press F2 To load default values and continue

F11 to enter boot menu
"

Now, I am not sure what posting looks like exactly, but my guess is that ^.

It also says the CMOS Checksum is Bad, what is this all about?

When I press F1 and edit the settings, it goes to the menu like it should. I then go to Advanced BIOS Settings, and change some things around in there. I then Save and Exit. After exiting, it starts windows. Then, when I shut off the computer, and restart it, all the BIOS settings are back at default, why?

I tried pressing F11 to enter the boot menu also, and when I do it says: "entering boot menu" instead of "F11 to enter boot menu", but nothing happens.

So, do I have a bad MoBo? Do I need to download a newer version of BIOS? Or is there some other blatantly obvious thing, just calling my name?

Thanks in advance for any answers and sorry for the wall of text. :)

Solution
Well, what you did was a part of resetting the BIOS. To do that properly, here is the sequence:
1. Shut down and disconnect power cord. Open case.
2. Remove the CMOS battery from its holder.
3. Move the jumper on the pins marked "CMOS Reset" from their normal position on 2 pins to fit over the other 2 pins. Leave it that way about 10 sec., then put the jumper back in normal storage position.
4. Replace the battery. Close up the case and reconnect the power cord.
5. Turn on the machine, and go immediately into BIOS Setup. You must restore a reliable set of BIOS parameters to be sure it will work. Look on the main menu tabs near the end for a place where you can Load BIOS Settings. Load either the Factory default set or the Optimized...
CMOS is the chips that store information about what sort of components are in your system for bootup. Either the CMOS is bad or the battery that keeps them up to date is bad. The battery is like a garage door or watch battery and your motherbaord manual should have a section on replacing the CMOS battery. If its not the battery you need to contact the mobo Manufacturer and probably have to RMA the motherboard.

Of course it can. It does so automatically. I have NEVER seen this problem. What is it doing and how are you booting it if it isn't autobooting?

Killer Carebear

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Well, it says F2 to load defaults and start windows. I have been using it lately, but at first I was going in and editing cmos, then saving and exiting and it would start windows.

At the beginning I was having CMOS problems also. I took out the battery and waited for about 10 mins then put it back in. I also took out and replaced the... cmos jumper (?... is that what its called.) I will try replacing the battery, and see if that works.

If I do end up getting another board, it will not affect my windows right, I will not have to purchase another?

Thanks again for the answers, and I will post back after looking into it more. :)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, what you did was a part of resetting the BIOS. To do that properly, here is the sequence:
1. Shut down and disconnect power cord. Open case.
2. Remove the CMOS battery from its holder.
3. Move the jumper on the pins marked "CMOS Reset" from their normal position on 2 pins to fit over the other 2 pins. Leave it that way about 10 sec., then put the jumper back in normal storage position.
4. Replace the battery. Close up the case and reconnect the power cord.
5. Turn on the machine, and go immediately into BIOS Setup. You must restore a reliable set of BIOS parameters to be sure it will work. Look on the main menu tabs near the end for a place where you can Load BIOS Settings. Load either the Factory default set or the Optimized Default set. When done, Save and Exit so the machine finishes booting into Windows.

If your machine is working properly this will get you running stably. Shut it down, the boot up again. Does it still give you error messages? Can you make BIOS changes, Save and Exit, and have them become permanent? If not, you do have either a bad battery or a bad mobo. The battery can be removed and tested at a store, or just buy a new one and replace it. When you do, be sure to Load a Default set of BIOS settings when you first start up again.

If you have to replace the mobo and the new one is just the same model, your Windows installation ought to be just fine. If you want to be extra safe, use your Windows Install CD to do a Repair Install. This procedure merely makes sure all the drivers installed on your hard disk are exactly right for all the devices in your machine. To do it, you boot from the Windows Install CD just as if you were going to do a fresh Install. But DO NOT do a Fresh Install! Look for the Repair Install option and do that. If for any reason your Windows tries to tell you that you do not have an authorized legitimate copy of Windows, call Microsoft Tech support and explain about your forced mobo replacement. Get them to tell you how to re-authorize your Windows.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS