Newbie q re. thinkpad screen. Is this normal?

I recently purchased a thinkpad r50e with a 14.1 TFT inch screen
through the ibm webstore for work purposes and to watch the occasional
dvd. I'm pretty happy with it, as it does most of what I want to do
with it, and it's a very well-constructed and sturdy machine compared
to many other laptops I've seen at the same price.

My only complaint, however, is with the screen. The contrast ratio
seems pretty abysmal and the screen is not uniformly bright. I get
that 'fading out' effect (the effect you see when you look at ATM
screens at an angle) from about 20 degrees horizontal and vertical .
The colors on the bottom 40% of the screen is washed out, while the
top 10% is too dark. Tilting my head lower (or pushing the screen
further back) corrects the bottom brightness somewhat, but the top
portion now 'fades out'.

Now, from what I've read on the net and some laptop sites, this can
apparently be considered normal on some screens (the backlight is
located on the bottom edge of the screen, as I understand). However, I
use no-name desktop lcd monitors at my workplace and don't see the
same problem. In contrast to my thinkpad screen, colors are saturated
and details on those lcds seem even better than some CRTs I've used. I
then had a look at a friend's 3-yr old sony vaio laptop and again,
don't see the same thing I see on my thinkpad.

Any thinkpad owners out there want to comment on this? Or is it just
my eyes?

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I've tried lowering screen brightness, but that doesn't help.
Yes, the bottom brightness goes away a little, but the entire screen
is now too dark. Tried fiddling with gamma and contrast but that
didn't help either. Can't find any controls for colors.
4 answers Last reply
More about newbie thinkpad screen normal

    In normal operation this doesn't sound normal, I have a T40 and my sister
    has an R51 with a 15" screen. It is uniform brightness all over when
    looking from the front, and sideways you have about 20deg each side before
    you see a difference. Vertically, any movement changes the brightness - but
    this is normal, unless you have a flexview screen.

    However, you mention you watch DVDs - one problem with this is that the
    screen is often black when watching DVDs - and TFT's are not so good at
    doing black - it looks greyish with the lights off, and looks lighter at the
    bottom - this is normal. The contrast ratio looks low, but actually, is
    very high (i.e. the screen can be very bright compared to it's 'black').

    So if you're talking about when the screen is displaying black in a dark
    room, then what you're talking about is normal. If, however, you notice
    this, say, in the normal WinXP screen, on Word or Outlook etc... then it's
    not right.

    Duncan.

    "yosh" <linnaeus00000@lycos.com> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a thinkpad r50e with a 14.1 TFT inch screen
    > through the ibm webstore for work purposes and to watch the occasional
    > dvd. I'm pretty happy with it, as it does most of what I want to do
    > with it, and it's a very well-constructed and sturdy machine compared
    > to many other laptops I've seen at the same price.
    >
    > My only complaint, however, is with the screen. The contrast ratio
    > seems pretty abysmal and the screen is not uniformly bright. I get
    > that 'fading out' effect (the effect you see when you look at ATM
    > screens at an angle) from about 20 degrees horizontal and vertical .
    > The colors on the bottom 40% of the screen is washed out, while the
    > top 10% is too dark. Tilting my head lower (or pushing the screen
    > further back) corrects the bottom brightness somewhat, but the top
    > portion now 'fades out'.
    >
    > Now, from what I've read on the net and some laptop sites, this can
    > apparently be considered normal on some screens (the backlight is
    > located on the bottom edge of the screen, as I understand). However, I
    > use no-name desktop lcd monitors at my workplace and don't see the
    > same problem. In contrast to my thinkpad screen, colors are saturated
    > and details on those lcds seem even better than some CRTs I've used. I
    > then had a look at a friend's 3-yr old sony vaio laptop and again,
    > don't see the same thing I see on my thinkpad.
    >
    > Any thinkpad owners out there want to comment on this? Or is it just
    > my eyes?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > P.S: I've tried lowering screen brightness, but that doesn't help.
    > Yes, the bottom brightness goes away a little, but the entire screen
    > is now too dark. Tried fiddling with gamma and contrast but that
    > didn't help either. Can't find any controls for colors.

    Thanks for the reply, Duncan.

    The uneven brightness I was talking about is completely visible on the
    normal winXP screen (with the default blue IBM world map desktop
    background), under ambient light, when looking directly straight-on at
    the screen. It's not as noticeable though on white backgrounds (eg.
    Word, etc.).

    It's highly noticeable when watching DVDs fullscreen. The bottom 40%
    is very bright, with washed out colors, while the top 10% is either
    dark or display that 'negative' faded-out effect. Only a narrow middle
    section of the screen displays 'normal', rich saturated colors to my
    eyes.

    I guess I understand that the screen being brighter on the bottom and
    dark on the top is normal. I'm just concerned that, to my eyes, my
    thinkpad screen appears to display these properties to a more extreme
    extent than desktop lcds and other older notebooks I've seen.

    Any further comments?

    > Thanks for the reply, Duncan.
    >
    > The uneven brightness I was talking about is completely visible on the
    > normal winXP screen (with the default blue IBM world map desktop
    > background), under ambient light, when looking directly straight-on at
    > the screen. It's not as noticeable though on white backgrounds (eg.
    > Word, etc.).
    >
    > It's highly noticeable when watching DVDs fullscreen. The bottom 40%
    > is very bright, with washed out colors, while the top 10% is either
    > dark or display that 'negative' faded-out effect. Only a narrow middle
    > section of the screen displays 'normal', rich saturated colors to my
    > eyes.
    >
    > I guess I understand that the screen being brighter on the bottom and
    > dark on the top is normal. I'm just concerned that, to my eyes, my
    > thinkpad screen appears to display these properties to a more extreme
    > extent than desktop lcds and other older notebooks I've seen.
    >
    > Any further comments?

    I don't think this is normal and would talk to the store about an exchange.
    I previously had two IBM thinkpads and was very happy with them. Even the
    older model did not have this problem.

    MaryL

    This is definetely not normal - you shouldn't be able to see any change in
    brightness in normal conditions across the screen when looking straight on -
    and thinkpad screens tend to be pretty good, so you can see them over quite
    a wide angle, too.

    Contact IBM, and I'm sure they'll sort it out for you pretty promptly.

    Duncan.

    "yosh" <linnaeus00000@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply, Duncan.
    >
    > The uneven brightness I was talking about is completely visible on the
    > normal winXP screen (with the default blue IBM world map desktop
    > background), under ambient light, when looking directly straight-on at
    > the screen. It's not as noticeable though on white backgrounds (eg.
    > Word, etc.).
    >
    > It's highly noticeable when watching DVDs fullscreen. The bottom 40%
    > is very bright, with washed out colors, while the top 10% is either
    > dark or display that 'negative' faded-out effect. Only a narrow middle
    > section of the screen displays 'normal', rich saturated colors to my
    > eyes.
    >
    > I guess I understand that the screen being brighter on the bottom and
    > dark on the top is normal. I'm just concerned that, to my eyes, my
    > thinkpad screen appears to display these properties to a more extreme
    > extent than desktop lcds and other older notebooks I've seen.
    >
    > Any further comments?

Laptops Thinkpad Product