Asus gtx 460 se no display

redeyedapostle

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
i recently bought a asus gtx 460 se and installed it in my computer,

i'm doing my first build, everything seems to working fine, the computer sounds like it's booting up, all the fans are running (including on the GPU) but there's no display on my monitor, or any others i've tried. i've tried resetting cmos, reseating it, reconnecting it, moving it to another pcie slot, and nothing seems to work.

my motherboard doesn't have an integrated gpu, so i'm unable to even access bios or install windows.

specs:
motherboard: asus p6x58d premium
memory: 6gb corsair vengeance ddr3 1600mhz
hard drive: 1tb wd caviar black
psu:corsair 550w
cpu: core i7 920
case: thermaltake element G

if there's anything i forgot i'll be happy to add it. hope you can help.

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Also, are you certain that the video card is fully seated inside the slot ?
You could take a look at that chart : http://www.fonerbooks.com/video.htm
You simply need to click on the options for a more complete explanation.

Do you have any experience swapping components inside your PC, or is this your first time ? If it was your first time, did you remember to discharge yourself by touching the case or the PSU behind doing anything ? And did you unplug your PSU from the wall socket ? If you didn't, it might be that you fried your motherboard.

A quick way to know if you did is to try putting the old card back in. If it doesn't work...you have your answer. If it does work, it might be that you got a defective GPU. Then you'll have to RMA it.

If your old card was from ATI/AMD, did you uninstall its driver before removing it ? That might be the problem. Just put the old one back in, uninstall the drivers, reboot, place the new one in, install the Nvidia driver, reboot...everything should be fine.

redeyedapostle

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
i will be sure to check out that link.

i do have experience swapping out components, this is my first ground up build. i followed all of the above precautions, i don't think it's my mobo or cpu.

i've read other forums with people having similar problems with the gtx 460, but not with other gpus. perhaps i'll just have to try something else.