Drive not accessible. Access Denied

Yeganeh

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
hey there.
i tried to open a dvd yesterday and it was just fine.today i tried to open it again.i clicked on it and it said F:/ is not accessible access is denied,i tried different dvds and got the same result.scanned my computer for viruses and found nothing. i right-clicked on the drive and chose properties and then security but there was no edit option.i tried to restart the computer but it wasnt shutting down,i had to pull the battery out. :( :??: :pfff:
what should i do?plz.

Does it still not work after restarting the computer?

Some OEM laptops ship with crummy DVD drives that are known to stop working after a while. This is really just a quality control issue and not a problem with Windows or a virus.

Regardless of what the laptop manufacturer is there are a couple of things you can do:

1. If the laptop is under warranty, get it repaired. Swapping the DVD drive is an easy operation and can possibly be done at any authorized service center if they have the parts on hand

2. If the laptop is old and out of warranty you can buy an USB dvd drive and use that instead. Many people do not use DVDs to the same degree that they did 5-8 years ago.

3. Buy a replacement DVD drive and install it yourself. I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself unless you're particularly good with tiny screws and know your way around the inside of a laptop.

You have most probably overshot the number of times you're allowed to change the DVD regional Zone.
Yeah yeah..... the max depending on the drive is 4 or 5.
Regional DVDs are region locked and can be played or are supposed to be played only in their respective zones. You are allowed to change the zone 4 or 5 times as it asks you when you put in dvd from another region if you'd like to change the zone, to watch it, you have to click yes, and sometimes it does it automatically.
The options you do have to unlock that drive are to send it to the drive manufacturer.
Yes, there are other options, but, they are not considered legal and cannot be disclosed on this forum, as it's against rules.

Or
Get a new drive..... and be more careful.

I've never heard of region codes rendering the drive inoperable, it's just supposed to make the last used one permanent.

I don't think that's right. Older drives (aka much older) will ignore region codes all together. Newer drives allow the region code to be changed 4-5 times but when that is exceeded it will simply prevent it from being changed any more. In any case, there's no reason that the drive will lock completely. "Access Denied" is a typical symptom of drive failure.