Fan keeps still running even after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

kppatil

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hello,
I have a problem . Even after i shutdown my pc fan still keeps running indefinately, i can still eject and close DVD drives, they aren't powered down!. But monitor is powered down.
Spec:- Pentium D, E5200@2.5Ghz.Intel® G31 Express Chipset and Motherboard ID:63-0100-009999-00101111-050808-Bearlake$A7528200_HCL INFOSYSTEMS LIMITED A7528IH8 V1.10B14 050808.
Hard drive usage LED isn't glowing after shutdown, even i press hold power button its of no use, i have to unplug the main power to completely switch off.

I'll be grateful if u can solve this.Thanks!

Solution
The monitor is probably not shut down. It's just in sleep mode since it's not receiving a single from the PC.

To shut down the PC you'll need to figure out what the problem really is. CPU reading too hot - maybe an error in reporting? Might be a thermal sensor gone bad on the CPU.
Is that the CPU cooling fan, or the case fans? Have you checked the CPU temps lately? If your CPU is running hot the CPU cooler is going to try and keep running. HWMonitor will let you check the CPU temps.

kppatil

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

It is the CPU cooling fan( fan above processor) is running, I have downloaded that soft and checked it showed TMPIN0= 41C and TMPIN1 and 2 =35C and FANIN0 is 2325 rpm and assembly temp is 35C . I think its not the problem of cooling system because even after 30min after shutdown it keeps running! and also its not only fans even i can eject DVD drives, this seems wierd i know, but i'm really having this problem. Plz solve this .. anyway thanks for attending me

Your CPU temps are OK, just a little on the high side.
It looks like your fan is running at full speed (2325 rpm) - not the normal lower speed (and quieter speed around 1600rpm) it should be using when the CPU is only about 40C.
I'm thinking the CPU cooler fan might have gone bad and needs to be replaced.

kppatil

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Yeah! but i have checked in that H/w monitor in BIOS setting screen its showing CPU temp :51C and System Temp :35C.May be its prob with fan i'll check it out .But ... what about the DVD drives they are still powered!even after shutdown :??:

kppatil

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

The details are here,
ACPI function -Enabled
ACPI standby-S3
Re-call VGA BIOS from S3-disabled
Power button function-Power off
Restore on AC power loss-Off

and also there is no target for CPU fan- "CPU smart fan Target"-disabled! . So? what might be the prob?? May be BIOS working gone wrong?

kppatil

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

But why is Monitor powered Down? If so how could i shut down my PC? :??:

The monitor is probably not shut down. It's just in sleep mode since it's not receiving a single from the PC.

To shut down the PC you'll need to figure out what the problem really is. CPU reading too hot - maybe an error in reporting? Might be a thermal sensor gone bad on the CPU.

Solution

kppatil

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

oh.. may be . Now the temp is 48C(down by 3C) and Fan speed is 2581rpm , its goin up!! . So , are there any solutions with the software only?If its a hardware prob then i should to get my PC to repair shop.
Thanks!

kppatil

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Yeah! yeah! u are right! Monitor is just in sleep mode. When i tested it on running Windows XP even monitor doesn't go to sleep mode(a blue screen with "Windows is shutting down..." will remain indefinately), only on Windows 7 it happens.

kppatil

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Yes! My PC is not shutting down, so what shall i do?? I have re-installed OS(fresh copy), still the problem remains :( . Its definately problem with mobo, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.