Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this a good Mid-Range gaming PC $1,100

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 6, 2010 9:12:47 PM


CoolerMaster HAF 922
Corsair 750 watts
MSI P55 GD65
Intel i5 750 2.66ghz (OC later on)
Stock heatsink (new one when i OC)
GSkill ECO 4GB(2X2) 1600
Samsung Spinpoint f3 500GB 7200RPM
XFX HD5770 Juniper XT (Crossfire later on)
Samsung 24X SATA cd/dvd burner
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Full

Total at Newegg with shipping and rebates is $1089.76

Anything I should change? I really dont know much about the different OS so i chose the cheapest most basic one. This will be my first build i hope its a good one! :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2010 9:24:57 PM

Looks solid to me and just needs a CM Hyper 212+ later on.
I see you've done your research.
June 6, 2010 9:32:12 PM

davcon said:
Looks solid to me and just needs a CM Hyper 212+ later on.
I see you've done your research.



Hell yeah i did. Hours and hours and weeks and weeks. I really feel that I'm ready to build my first PC. And if I get any trouble out of it I guess I can consult these really amazing forums! Thanks
Related resources
June 7, 2010 9:15:44 AM

solid build :D 

no problems from me
June 7, 2010 2:17:22 PM

Mark Heath said:
solid build :D 

no problems from me


Cool cuz I'm ordering this thing within the week!

P.S. Nice Rabbit :D 
June 7, 2010 3:54:35 PM

I would switch to AMD 955 and upgrade the video card to a 5850. But other then that looks good. Shouldn't up the price at all because the motherboard/processor would be much cheaper. I would also switch the case to something cheaper, as imo spending 100 on a case in a 1000 dollar build just does not make much sense.
June 7, 2010 8:50:44 PM

mansou said:
I would switch to AMD 955 and upgrade the video card to a 5850. But other then that looks good. Shouldn't up the price at all because the motherboard/processor would be much cheaper. I would also switch the case to something cheaper, as imo spending 100 on a case in a 1000 dollar build just does not make much sense.


I'm gonna stick with Intel just because I'm familiar with it and I'm gonna be doing some pretty hard overclocking, and I've heard some overclock horror stories for AMD.

I picked this case so it would hold a larger sized video card but I think i'm gonna get the coolermaster 692 instead.

I like that 5850 video card but is it really THAT much better than the 5770? worth the 140 bucks more? If so could you tell me how well it plays the latest games in a 1680x1050 resolution. How long is it? would it fit in the coolermaster 692 case?

Thanks for the feedback!
June 7, 2010 9:02:51 PM

Its worth the extra money in the sense that it will last a longer, so in other words, pay now or pay later. That's why most people suggest to buy the single most powerful GPU you can afford. Also, if you have the money, consider buying the aftermarket HSF now just for simplicity.
June 7, 2010 9:10:07 PM

Chuckles_ said:
Its worth the extra money in the sense that it will last a longer, so in other words, pay now or pay later. That's why most people suggest to buy the single most powerful GPU you can afford. Also, if you have the money, consider buying the aftermarket HSF now just for simplicity.


I'm really sorry but (n00b) what is aftermarket hsf mean? U mean like a heatsink or something?
June 7, 2010 11:15:26 PM

Yeah aftermarket heatsink and fan, referring to the hyper 212+. With the HAF 922, you're not going to be able to install that HSF with the MB and CPU in the case. So, you're going to have to take everything out of that case. If you have the money, you can save yourself the hassle by buying that 212+ now even though you won't OC until later.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2010 12:03:06 AM

He's right cuz i have a CM690II and i thought great it has a mobo cut-out no worries
i'll just add my Hyper 212+ later
GONG!!!
The two bloody bottom screws were not accessible
Didn't see that one comin' lol!
Btw the 692 is very roomy.
June 8, 2010 1:00:22 AM

Chuckles_ said:
Yeah aftermarket heatsink and fan, referring to the hyper 212+. With the HAF 922, you're not going to be able to install that HSF with the MB and CPU in the case. So, you're going to have to take everything out of that case. If you have the money, you can save yourself the hassle by buying that 212+ now even though you won't OC until later.


Will the 212 fit in the cooler master 692 because that case is cheaper and I like it a lot better? I found a $30 heatsink at newegg because they don't have the 212 in stock anymore. It is an arctic cooling freezer7 rev2. Do you think it will be sufficient for overclocking my i5 750 to about 3.0 to 3.4 GHz or will i definitely need the 212?

June 8, 2010 1:18:11 AM

davcon said:
He's right cuz i have a CM690II and i thought great it has a mobo cut-out no worries
i'll just add my Hyper 212+ later
GONG!!!
The two bloody bottom screws were not accessible
Didn't see that one comin' lol!
Btw the 692 is very roomy.



Is the cm692 and the cm690II two different cases if so what is the difference?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2010 1:43:50 AM

Just a lazy abbreviation same case
Don't buy the AC freezer it's a stock fan replacement at best WOOO! $40 dollars too way overpriced


June 8, 2010 1:50:54 AM

BTW!!! A big thanks to everyone that has helped me so far it has been amazing and I have learned a lot and now I'm going to SAVE a lot so thanks for the help!!!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2010 1:55:41 AM

You know you can select someone for best answer and end this thread.
You're gonna love your new rig
Cheers!
June 8, 2010 2:14:32 AM

davcon said:
You know you can select someone for best answer and end this thread.
You're gonna love your new rig
Cheers!



three more questions and I'll leave you alone.

Will that heatsink work with the i5?

How to select best answer?

How to close thread?

Thanks for the help!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2010 2:35:16 AM

Yes that hs is for 1156 socket i3,i5,and i7
selecting best answer bottom right hand corner in yellow near your reply
that will close this thread once selected
i'm glad i could be of assistance
June 8, 2010 2:54:43 AM

Quote:
no i double checked don't get that cooler i linked
i'll find you something just hold on a bit


Thanks i wa looking into it myself and thought maybe i was just an idiot but i guess i was right. lga 1156 socket seems to be tricky when it comes to heatsinks! ;) 


EDIT: Oh ok. It wont be hard to install will it??
June 8, 2010 2:58:51 AM

That's great. Newegg was quite misleading there but oh well. I'm on the phone with my dad right now to work out payment for this puppy. If you want I could show you the final build once I finish it. If you wanna PM me your e-mail i'll send you some pics. Thanks for the help u practically built this thing for me lol!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2010 3:08:05 AM

No it should be pretty straight forward here's a nice picture of it in a 690


http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/2879/gal...


usually your install will start at the back of the mobo
four retention nuts for the backplate
then you'll apply thermal compound
i usually dab small amounts in a grid pattern on the hs surface
some guys dab a pea sized amount in the middle of the hs
no need to apply to your cpu
btw clean the surface of your cpu of all thermal residue before mounting your new hs
i use rubbing alcohol
the rest is a matter of position and tightening
do not over tighten and be careful not to damage other components
it's all about time and space
you'll be fine as long as you read the instructions and take your time
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2010 3:12:30 AM

Not really you had one of the best starting builds i've seen in a while
so it was easy!
June 8, 2010 3:24:37 PM

Quote:
P.S. Nice Rabbit :D 


thanks :D 

good luck with the building
!