Sweetiebelleswag

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Okay so heres the run down I am getting a custom pc and I am planning on getting a 1TB hard drive and a 180GB Intel 520 series SATA 6GB/s upto 550MB/sR / 520MB/sW

I am new to the whole SSD hard drive addition
And so I was wondering how does an SSD work? and how do I use it?

Do I just have it say as the C/ drive and the 1TB as the D/, then install my more demanding games and OS to the SSD driver which will be the C/ drive and then save everything else and install everything else to the 1TB D/ drive? I am so confused so help is really needed?

There is also an option for am SSD CACHE DRIVE which is 20GB intel SSD 313 Series SLC Cache Drive for system / 1st HDD what is that is that? is that worth getting or is it nothing important?

Custom build specs

i7-3770/i5- 3570 (not sure which ill get)
Asus P8Z77 6GB/s ATI crossfireX
16GB Hypergenesis 2133mhz
4gb Nvidia Geforce GTX 690

Help needed PLEASE ANSWER :bounce:

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
I would recommend the SSD be used only for the OS and all other programs loaded on the HD. I have 1 120GD SSD and it's amazing how fast OS updates and all will fill up the drive.

I'm not familiar with the cache drives. Hopefully, someone else will respond.

i have a 120gb ssd and put everything on it including programs and games with 40gb to spare

dont forget if you have large amounts of ram you lose a LOT of space to the pagefile and hyberfil.sys file

with 16gb of ram you could be losing in the area of 30gb or more

i set pagefile to 512mb--delete hyberfil.sys--this still lets you use sleep,just not hibernate

i also turn off system restore and shrink the size of the recycle bin--though obviously be carefull not to delete stuff you

dont mean to

i also open a command prompt and run

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

this cleans up a bit more space by deleting service pack 1 files--these are only needed if you plan to uninstall service

pack 1 and no reason i would uninstall it

all of those gain you a load of space back on your ssd

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
As the others said, install your OS on the SSD. You will still have enough space left for OS expansion and a reasonable number of apps and games....install on the SSD only those that you use frequently (and will benefit the most). Try to keep any large data banks that certain apps use off the SSD (e.g. propellerhead reason sound libraries....if this is your thing).

You'll notice a big improvement adding an SSD to your system.

dingo07

Distinguished

sadly, hardly anyone reads and searches before they post... :fou: