Sign in with
Your question

What should I upgrade first?

Last response: in Systems
June 6, 2010 10:03:50 PM

Hello guys! I have a 4 month old pc and i'm very happy with it but I'm already starting to think about future upgrades. So what do I need to upgrade first in the future? Should I get another Radeon 5770 and crossfire (I have a 1680x1050 screen) or go from 4 to 8 gb RAM (socket 1156 won't let 6 gb I've heard)?

I'm also thinking about getting a good CPU cooler and clock my stock i5 750 or get an ssd but I'm kinda scared about clocking (first-timer) and I think the ssd isn't worth it right now at this price and early stage of development.

Thank you ;) 

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2010 10:13:29 PM

Heh, you got the virus. You're doomed. :D 
June 6, 2010 10:25:02 PM

What are u going/doing with that pc? gaming? or multitasking ?
and tell us your budget if u don't mind
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2010 10:52:21 PM

You need to provide full specifications in order to get relevant advice. For example, many socket 1156 boards don't have proper PCIE lanes for Crossfire.
It would also be useful to know if anything in particular does not perform as well as you expected or hoped.
Then we'll need constraints, including budget, brand/model of PSU (wattage alone isn't enough information), size of your case, etc.
June 7, 2010 12:36:45 AM

If I had only $200 to up-grade with and the choice was to crossfire or get an SSD. I'd get the SSD for a boot drive on which you put your OS, games you most often play and or apps you use a lot. The latest gen. of Sandforce controllers have pretty much brought SSDs up to snuff as far as longevity and reliability are concerned. If I may suggest,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 1:21:58 AM

Crossfire on your resolution is probably overkill. I agree that a SSD will give you the most visible performance boost, and doesn't require factoring in PSU capacity or case cooling. Of course, for all we know you already have a SSD. We need specs.
June 7, 2010 8:25:44 AM

GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD5770 1GB PCS++ (factory OC'd a little)
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 (crossfire able)
HDD: 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2048MB) 1600MHz XMS3 (Cl9)
CPU: Intel Core i5 750, 2.66GHz
Chassis: Antec Three Hundred
PSU: Corsair TX 650W 80+

As of my budget, I can't provide exact numbers but it's pretty small. I think another 5770 is a bit expensive for example. The most cost-efficient solution would be OCing the CPU and get a cooler but Im a newbie to that area
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 8:39:51 AM

Another card is not needed for that resolution.
Getting a Hyper212+ CPU cooler for $40 and OCing is good, though I doubt you will see any real performance boost (unless you are playing very CPU heavy games it is unlikely to be bottlenecking your card)
So, if you really want extra performance (though I doubt you need any to be honest) then an SSD is probably the way to go.

RAM beyond 4gb will give you no real performance boost gaming.

Personally I would just save money and get an HD resolution monitor (1920 x 1080) after that you can think about upgrading the machine with XFire or a better card
June 7, 2010 8:55:11 AM

asteldian said:
Another card is not needed for that resolution.
Getting a Hyper212+ CPU cooler for $40 and OCing is good, though I doubt you will see any real performance boost (unless you are playing very CPU heavy games it is unlikely to be bottlenecking your card)
So, if you really want extra performance (though I doubt you need any to be honest) then an SSD is probably the way to go.

RAM beyond 4gb will give you no real performance boost gaming.

Personally I would just save money and get an HD resolution monitor (1020 x 1080) after that you can think about upgrading the machine with XFire or a better card

Thanks, I'll think about it :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 8:56:14 AM

It is not as exciting as tinkering with your computer, but after spending about $220-$250 on a 22-24 inch 1920 x 1080 monitor you really appreciate it when gaming
June 7, 2010 9:02:28 AM

asteldian said:
It is not as exciting as tinkering with your computer, but after spending about $220-$250 on a 22-24 inch 1920 x 1080 monitor you really appreciate it when gaming

My monitor right now is Samsung 2032BW Syncmaster (3000:1 dynamic contrast, 2 ms response) and I'm very happy with it but you're probably right
June 7, 2010 9:09:38 AM

The one I've got is 20 inch btw
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 2:00:13 PM

Asteldian's comments are apt. If you want to tinker, there's always the cooler, but as he says, the benefits are likely to be minimal (although you might get some noise reduction). An 80GB SSD for around $200 will have you spoiled in no time, but looks like it's outside your budget right now.
June 7, 2010 2:14:37 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice everyone. This really helped me :)  . So basically no upgrades needed, only the monitor and thereafter the GPU. SSD is also really good if I can afford it.

I dunno if I want to spend money on a monitor and later a better GPU, I'm happy with my current setup and I'll probably keep it that way. As for the SSD, I'll wait and see what happens (price/capacity development).

Again, thanks a lot ppl :) 
!