AMD 955 Black Edition ideal temps - first time builder please help!

tazzfalcon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hi All,

First time PC builder & first time poster!

I've just put together my first build. I've got an
AMD Phenom II Black Ed. 3.2ghz w/ stock cooler h/sink
Coolermaster Elite 330 Case With Coolermaster eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM Caviar Blue
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G Socket AM3 onboard DVI VGA HDMI 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Gold AMD Memory Kit CL9 1.65V
LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
MSI r5770 Hawk 1gb

Few minor problems during the build but got I've gotten to the stage where I CAN install windows 7 if I want (after about 10hours all told) but I want to make a couple things sure first...

I've got x2 120mm fans in the case although I might have installed them both so they are sucking air out rather than pumping in! Can anyone tell me if these temps are normal:

CPU 43-44c MoBo 30-32c in the bios H/W temp checker (I assume that's idle) . Cool and quite mode enabled.

One small problem I had with the build was seating the fan - I had to remove it and re-seat and some of the really sticky thermal paste that comes on the stock h/sink got stuck to the CPU?

I'm thinking of getting a new cooler anyway but do you think it's safe to install windows at this point, are those temps ok?

Many thanks!

Metwinge

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hi Tazz.

I build a 955BE last year with a 790FX GD70 but i didnt use the stock cooler as i wanted to OC. Personally i dont think its too high for idle, but also what is your ambient temp around you as that will affect the system, also have you done a stress test on it? Prime 95 etc.

I used a ALC coolit all in one but that failed, so now using a Titan Fenrir V2 which has my temps at 33 -35 idle and 45 -50 100%

For the fans you always have a push pull setup so a fan at front sucking in and a fan at the back to pull but more fans will be better and on the side as with your case.

metssuru

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
That seems a little high for stock speeds at idle. AM2's run pretty hot due to the normally high Voltage they use. My overclocked 940 BE runs at 34 idle - 50 under load. also my mobo runs around the same too.

Personally I would remove the fan and thermal paste (use a little alcohol based solvent), get some silver based compound (like artic silver) and try again. You only a very thin layer covering the whole of the cpu.

tazzfalcon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hi the CPU fan is going at about 5578c and the CPU temp stabalised at 45c mobo 38c - still in bios, any more thoughts or should I just get a better cooler asap.

tazzfalcon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
OK. So since this morning ive installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit

In windows asus PC probe 2 is showing idle temps of only 32-36c!!!
???
Why so different from the HW monitor in the bios?

I ran Prime95 as suggested did the default stress test as i understand it, ran for 45mins approx and under heavy load the CPU temp didnt exceed 54c according to probe 2 again, error free also!

I'm really pleased everything seems great starcraft 2 is running like a dream with everything on ultra.

My only problem now is CPU-Z says my RAM is single channel but the asus mobo manual is really confusing as to which slots to pt the DIMM's to get dual channel - i think the sticks are in B1-B2 atm, do i need A1-A2 or A1-B2 or what?

thanks for the good tips earlier and if anyone has any idea why the temp is so diff in the bios or about the RAM issue please let me know!!

Cheers