Sign in with
Your question
Solved

(New_to_SSD)OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G and Asus M3A78-EM?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Firmware
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 28, 2012 6:42:46 PM

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
Read the reviews and saw some issues with the "controller"
Quote:
Cons: *Slow on SATA2 - 135mb/s read, 62mb/s write. My Vertex Plus 120gb gets over 180mb/s read and write on SATA2 for around same price right now.
*Worst controller ever - hangs for around 30sec when writing under multiple programs in Win7. Probably due to firmware but...
*Using original firmware because can't do Secure Erase (resets the drive) to upgrade to latest firmware. Must unplug sata cable from mobo but can't do that on laptop. Upgraded to latest firmware on first drive w/o Secure Erase but that just messed up the drive.

Other Thoughts: *Would not recommend for laptop users*
*People with older computers should just buy older models without SATA 3 support. Cheaper and will probably be faster for SATA 2 or below.

Quote:
This machine doesnt have the newest SATA2, so I'm sure the newer SATA2 Controllers could benefit even better!!!!

Quote:
Cons: Nothing major so far. It is connected using SATA 2, and I ran a benchmark out of curiosity (Atto if I remember correctly). Was only getting ~180MB reads and the writes were also below advertised. But I have a feeling this is due to the netbook's chipset. Either way, not a big deal and I didnt knock an egg off for it.

My Asus M3A78-EM is of course an oldy montherboard and I'm wondering if I'm "qualified" for this SSD?
Planning to use it for WoW/D3.

Thank you.

More about : ssd ocz agt3 25sat3 60g asus m3a78

a c 545 G Storage
July 28, 2012 6:58:28 PM

Yes, the Agility 3 is compatible with your motherboard. Update the firmware on the drive to version 2.22 and you should not have any issues.

Since you have only SATA 2 ports on your motherboard, the advertised speeds for the drive are up to 280MB/s Read and 260MB/s Write, using ATTO benchmark software.
m
l

Best solution

a c 314 G Storage
July 28, 2012 7:02:31 PM

OCZ classifies the Agility 3 as a mainstream ssd. It is an older model. It is being replaced by the Agility 4.

The user feedback at newegg should be taken lightly. They typically leave out vital information. You should be reading technical reviews. I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this form section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the OCZ section where you will find links to technical reviews.

You are right about your motherboard being an oldie. However, it does support SATA 2 3Gb/s. Modern SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's are backward compatible so you will be able to use it. However, there will be a slight performance hit. For doing ordinary stuff you probably won't be able to see the difference.
Related resources
July 29, 2012 10:30:08 PM

Best answer selected by NiGHTsC.
m
l
July 29, 2012 10:31:46 PM

Thank you guys.

Gave the best answer to Johnny simply because he's a skull :p 
Hope it wouldn't bother you, Dereck ;) 
m
l
a c 545 G Storage
July 29, 2012 11:54:51 PM

Not at all! I'm glad you were helped, doesn't matter by who.
m
l
July 29, 2012 11:57:17 PM

Hell yah~~!!
Just ordered it Sir :D 
m
l
!