Looking for a reliable large 1tb+ harddrive that lasts

What are some hard drives that are reliable and will last for years. My system is always on, always accessed, and I almost filled my st31500531as (1.5TB) raid 1 with the same hdd. I was going to get another set of st31500531as but I have been hearing bad reviews left and right. I have been running them for 3 years constant without any issues or failures and other people last a week and they fail. What would you get in my situation, stick with more seagates or something else.


I will be getting 300gb velociraptors as boot drives for my next system.
19 answers Last reply
More about looking reliable large harddrive lasts
  1. Western digital caviar black series.
  2. are blue series for desktops okay also cause I have 320s in both my dual core laptops
  3. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Western digital caviar black series.


    This!

    Caviar Black hard drives are the highest performing in the 7200 RPM class.

    I wouldn't bother with the velociraptors, you can get a similar capacity SSD for not much more. The 300GB Velociraptor is $150 yet the 240 GB Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe is only $179 on sale right now

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226
  4. Will an SSD last as long as a traditional hard drive. IVE been into the computer business since 1992 and just getting familiar with some of the new technology. I still have a gateway e-4200 p3 bought in 1999 with a 20gig and it still works till this day and have had no issues. I would just like to have the same reliability and if SSD is a promise than I would go for it. Im not on a budget, its just hard to break my old habits.
  5. seabass1858 said:
    Will an SSD last as long as a traditional hard drive. IVE been into the computer business since 1992 and just getting familiar with some of the new technology. I still have a gateway e-4200 p3 bought in 1999 with a 20gig and it still works till this day and have had no issues. I would just like to have the same reliability and if SSD is a promise than I would go for it. Im not on a budget, its just hard to break my old habits.


    SSDs have an MTBF comparable to most platter drives. The exact lifespan of the drive depends on the usage and type of flash memory used. The drive I linked uses Toshiba's Toggle-mode Flash which lasts twice as long as standard synchronous/asynchronous Flash meaning that it should last 7-10 years at least. The industry standard warranty for SSDs is at least 3 years with many manufacturers offering up to 5.

    Extremely write heavy applications should be limited to enterprise grade SSDs, but you'd be extremely hard pressed to come close to this type of usage at home which makes consumer grade SSDs quite reliable.

    SSDs come in capacities as low as 60GB for quite affordable prices which makes them an easy investment to make. They're definitely worth using. Unlike the Raptors they're extremely quiet.
  6. When I put my new system together I will be looking into them most definitely, I was also looking into SAS but the noise level will annoy my wife
  7. seabass1858 said:
    When I put my new system together I will be looking into them most definitely, I was also looking into SAS but the noise level will annoy my wife


    SAS performs the same as SATA, it's just an enterprise oriented interface rather than a consumer oriented one.
  8. the enterprise interface is for the security systems for my father. My personal will definitely be dual SSD on raid 1 for boot and BF3 and 2 wds on raid 1+ my seagates on raid 1. I like data security.
  9. Can't go wrong with data security
  10. Reliability over speed is the reason I don't extreme overclock because I want to catch and prosecute the M-Fer stealing from my father.
  11. seabass1858 said:
    Reliability over speed is the reason I don't extreme overclock because I want to catch and prosecute the M-Fer stealing from my father.


    I'm sure a few claymore mines would set that SOB straight
  12. dont tell me that its bad enough my dad has to go to work with a 357 everyday because he is dealing with 5 figure transactions daily at multiple stores
  13. What about using 2TB RE-4 Western Digital hard drives on raid 1 for storage
  14. Western Digital makes the best hard drives hands down, size doesn't really matter WD will still make the best.
  15. 2TB RE-4 are very reliable.
  16. I have used Samsung F3 Spinpoints at the 1T size for years and never had problems.
    Here is the link to the product (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-Enterprise-3-5-Inch-HE103SJ/dp/B004L5GRQQ).
  17. Dog you need a link fix.
  18. Ill get something, after I get back ill start putting my new system together.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Storage Product