MSI p7n Diamond (Acer?) no video

Davorito

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Hi,

I bought a MSI mobo P7N with Acer written on it (no info on the internet). I can turn on the computer but there is no video. The post sounds it makes is 1 long 1 short. All the LEDs are green and blue exept one that is always red even when the pc is turned off.

img0329.jpg

babs368

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Did you get this off ebay? I was looking for a replacement board for my MSI P7N Platinum. This board is actually manufactered by MSI but branded ACER for OEM machines and it is a better spec than the Platinum.

The red led light your refering to doesnt mean that there is anything wrong. I have a lower spec same model board and the constant red led is always on even when the machine is off.

As for the beep codes check this site out

http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm

This board uses AMI BIOS.

Hope this helps.

mci2727

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

I hope you realize that you have no video card plugged in the board (perhaps taken out for photo?)
And you have no power ran to your 8 pin cpu power plug (upper left hand).
Without this power your cpu will not power up and you would have said issue.
You can either use a 4 pin or 8 pin plug on your setup.
Use a 8 pin if you have it.

OdeonDeathstalker

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I recently purchased the same exact board on eBay. The seller provides a one year warranty with a positive eBay review and 90 days without, which seems like coercion of some kind, but I don't use eBay enough to bother looking through their rules.

Anyway, I'm having the exact same trouble and I have to wonder if the boards this company is selling are bad. I'm using a Q6600 and have 3 2GB sticks of PC2-5300, but I've only been installing one to try to get the system to boot. My video card is an MSI GTS 250, plugged into the top PCIe slot (there are four on this board, though only the top three have room for two-slot cards) and I've tried every possible configuration.

I now only have my CPU, one stick of RAM and my video card installed, all of which boot up fine in my old Socket 775 motherboard. It's only got two DDR2 slots and the ability to run dual channel died on me, so I'm trying to replace it with this board. As I said, all of the individual components are good since it all boots on that dying board, including all three sticks of RAM. However I get one long beep and one short beep on bootup with no video of any kind and no progress when I leave it running. This board has on-board power and CMOS reset buttons, so I've even pulled all of the front panel, audio, and USB header connections with no luck still. It's very aggravating!

I've sent three emails to the seller and got a reply to the first one, but that was when I mentioned having difficulty with the front panel header due to my case's odd connector labeling. He just now sent a response to my third email asking if I can visually check to make sure that none of the CPU sockets pins are bent. I did a quick check before installing everything since I know that this will cause issues, but I'm gonna do a closer inspection now. If I see any bent pins, I'll reply again, especially if straightening them fixes the issue - or if the seller replaces it under warranty.

Davorito, did you buy your motherboard from eBay user "upgrade.expert" at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110639276581? That's where I got mine.

OdeonDeathstalker

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
It looked like two of the pins were bent previously, then bent back into place, which shouldn't be a big deal. But when I told him that and the fact that all of the LEDs on the board by the battery, HDD activity, Power, and Standby, were all on continuously even when I don't have a hard drive connected, he told me to return the board for a replacement.

Hopefully I can do an advance replacement without being charged the full amount first, but if not, I'll just be glad to have my tower back!