Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on what next for my pc

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2010 3:35:38 AM

ok so basically im looking for thoughts on what exact kind of upgrade would be next for me to increase my performance the most. i haven't made any upgrades to my pc in while, so i guess im slightly out of the loop , ive replaced everything apart from the motherboard since i first home built the pc. i was thinking my cpu is probably what ill need to look at but that will most likely mean a new mobo , so if thats the case any suggestions for a new mobo/cpu combo close too $150 would be appreciated.

my specs:
Windows 7 64bit
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
GEIL 4x1GB DDR2 PC2-6400
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
ASUS Xonar DX soundcard
MSI K9A Platinum motherboard
Thermaltake 700w Toughpower
250gb western digital hard drive.

So yeah , any thoughts on my system and what i should be looking at to upgrade would be great.

More about : thoughts

a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 3:47:49 AM

Unfortunately a new CPU would require a new motherboard which would mean a switch to DDR3(no point to waste money on a DDR2 board these days as it will just limit future upgrades), a 2x2GB kit of DDR3 will cost you about 120 so its just not doable on $150. If you can get $300-400 together you can upgrade to a nice motherboard and Phenom II quad core with 4GB of DDR3
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 4:00:38 AM

Well wait 1 second. I got to looking at specs for what I think is your mobo and would it support this with bios upgrade?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Phenom-X4-9950-2-6-GHz-Processo...

Keep in mind, it's an original phenom, but is at 2.6 ghz. Maybe you could get that, get a little more out of it through overclocking and max out your current board. Because you still have room to pull memory and put more in. Depends what budget you have and what you want to do.
Related resources
June 7, 2010 4:13:49 AM

thanks for the replies , well as there isnt really anything i desperately want to upgrade my pc for , im pretty content with the graphics it can put out at the moment (fallout 3 is the highest graphically demanding game i put my computer through and it runs pretty well without AA on 19x12)

i just thought it would be a good time to upgrade as i had about $200 spare cash which id be happy to put into my pc , with that in mind would you suggest in the long term it would then be better to save that cash until i can make a serious upgrade?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 4:16:00 AM

I would save up for a more significant upgrade, by the time you get 400 saved up there will be better cheaper tech out there for you to upgrade too as well, and hopefully RAM prices will have dropped a bit more.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 4:30:20 AM

Ok, I think I must have been looking at the K9A2 or something then. I am thankful my old board will at least take a Phenom 2....lol
!