Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Getting the right PSU/Graphics Card for a Dell Studio XPS 8100

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2010 7:45:14 AM

Long title huh? Well, long story short, I am trying to get some gaming out of this system and have run into a snag. Here are my specs...

Intel i5 750
8gb DDR3 RAM
Nividia Geforce 310
350w PSU

Anyways, I can play older games no sweat. However, I know this system can do so much better with a better PSU and graphics card. Now here's my problem. When I first got this PC, I opened it...and well... it's pretty tight in there. Honestly, i really don't want to buy the wrong size PSU/graphics card...then have to return it...and try again.

Can someone give me some pointers? What would be a good sized PSU and an equally efficient graphics card? I've been eyeing the HD 5770 and I know that needs a 450w power supply so I may shoot for that set up, but these things come in so many different shapes and sizes....I really don't want to mess this up...and the computer shop nearby sells very overpriced items, so I rather order online if I can.

Non confusing version! What PSU/Graphics cards fit inside the Dell Studio XPS 8100??
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2010 8:22:35 AM

With that powersupply, not a whole lot of options with graphics cards (9800GT maybe?) but with upgrading (not sure if thats possible now, used to be Dell was proprietary in PSU size & connector) I would say stay relatively low end, cause the higher end cards are long, and may not fit. As for PSU's look at Corsair's 550W PSUs.
May 2, 2010 8:46:57 AM

Well, I found a Powercolor HD 5770 that's relatively short. it measures 7.1 inches long and the Geforce 310 that came in the system is 6.6 inches long. Cutting it close but I have seen vids of people with this PC with upgraded parts.... just not mentioning what parts exactly...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2010 9:03:36 AM

Ramadonis said:
Well, I found a Powercolor HD 5770 that's relatively short. it measures 7.1 inches long and the Geforce 310 that came in the system is 6.6 inches long. Cutting it close but I have seen vids of people with this PC with upgraded parts.... just not mentioning what parts exactly...

The HD5770 is a pretty good card, infact it outperforms alot of whats out right now, with the exception of perhaps the High End GTX 285 and the Fermi cards. If you can afford it, I would get that then, assuming that it fits.

Best solution

a c 235 U Graphics card
May 2, 2010 1:10:10 PM

1. you can run the ATI 5770 on your current PSU with no issue. Dell PSU are very solid and they are under-rated in total watts. Your 350w will hit 400w with no issue. In fact Dell sells your PC with more power hungry cards then the ATI 5770.
2. the 5770 may recommend a 400w PSU but its very efficient (uses less power then an Nvidia 9800GT which can run on the Dell 305w PSU).
3. any 5770 will fit in your case, it does not need to be the same size as a Geforce 310.
4. Dell's "proprietary" PSU only differs from an ATX PSU by not having an "on/off" switch on the back. Otherwise its the exact same size, screw placement, and connectors. You can swap it out with any ATX PSU you buy online or toss it into any home built system with no issue.

I simply recommend you purchase an ATI 5770, toss it in and enjoy. You only need to upgrade your PSU for a card with higher power demands.

May 3, 2010 6:04:47 AM

Best answer selected by ramadonis.
December 16, 2010 5:24:26 AM

I know this is coming late, but do you think that that PSU would handle a newer ATI Radeon 6850?
!