Can't Start in Safemode

February 10, 2005 1:03:02 PM

Hello,
XP Home
SP1

F8 will not start me in Safemode.

Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to performan
another task, I don't know.

EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus 2005,
Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Bill Bowers

More about : start safemode

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:23:02 PM

Have you tried another keyboard?

Otherwise, you could edit the boot.ini to add the switch /safeboot. Click
here for reference.

"Bill Bowers" wrote:

> Hello,
> XP Home
> SP1
>
> F8 will not start me in Safemode.
>
> Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to performan
> another task, I don't know.
>
> EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus 2005,
> Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> Bill Bowers

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:31:19 PM

Some machines use F8 to get into the BIOS. This makes it difficult to use
the F8 key to boot into the Windows Safe Mode. Instead of trying to hit the
F8 key just right you can make some settings with the System Configuration
Utility (msconfig.exe).

Here's how to do just that...

Using the System Configuration Tool Method
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtu...

Universal Serial Bus Devices Do Not Work in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310496

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5A43B260-5782-4026-8497-5659BA1296B0@microsoft.com,
Bill Bowers <hoosieradvisor@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello,
> XP Home
> SP1
>
> F8 will not start me in Safemode.
>
> Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to
> performan another task, I don't know.
>
> EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus
> 2005, Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> Bill Bowers
February 11, 2005 10:39:35 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:03:02 -0800, Bill Bowers wrote:

> Hello,
> XP Home
> SP1
>
> F8 will not start me in Safemode.
>
> Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to performan
> another task, I don't know.
>
> EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus 2005,
> Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

If the keyboard has an F-Lock key, press and hold that key. Then press F8.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:03:02 -0800, Bill Bowers wrote:

> Hello,
> XP Home
> SP1
>
> F8 will not start me in Safemode.
>
> Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to performan
> another task, I don't know.
>
> EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus 2005,
> Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: Pressing F-Lock once should be sufficient to toggle to function keys
(F1, F2, etc) but on my Office keyboards, this only applies after Windows
is loaded. During the boot process, F-Lock will immediately disengage and
F8 is once again inactive at the critical moment. Holding the F-Lock key
down gets around that problem and keeps the function keys available.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User