Can't Start in Safemode

Hello,
XP Home
SP1

F8 will not start me in Safemode.

Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to performan
another task, I don't know.

EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus 2005,
Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Bill Bowers
4 answers Last reply

    Have you tried another keyboard?

    Otherwise, you could edit the boot.ini to add the switch /safeboot. Click
    here for reference.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_masc.asp

    "Bill Bowers" wrote:

    > Hello,
    > XP Home
    > SP1
    >
    > F8 will not start me in Safemode.
    >
    > Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to performan
    > another task, I don't know.
    >
    > EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus 2005,
    > Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > --
    > Bill Bowers

    Some machines use F8 to get into the BIOS. This makes it difficult to use
    the F8 key to boot into the Windows Safe Mode. Instead of trying to hit the
    F8 key just right you can make some settings with the System Configuration
    Utility (msconfig.exe).

    Here's how to do just that...

    Using the System Configuration Tool Method
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=61#winxo

    Universal Serial Bus Devices Do Not Work in Safe Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310496

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5A43B260-5782-4026-8497-5659BA1296B0@microsoft.com,
    Bill Bowers <hoosieradvisor@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:03:02 -0800, Bill Bowers wrote:

    > Hello,
    > XP Home
    > SP1
    >
    > F8 will not start me in Safemode.
    >
    > Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to performan
    > another task, I don't know.
    >
    > EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus 2005,
    > Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    If the keyboard has an F-Lock key, press and hold that key. Then press F8.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:03:02 -0800, Bill Bowers wrote:

    > Hello,
    > XP Home
    > SP1
    >
    > F8 will not start me in Safemode.
    >
    > Smart Office Keyboard is installed, so maybe F8 is programed to performan
    > another task, I don't know.
    >
    > EliteToolBar adware is present and I need to run Norton's AntiVirus 2005,
    > Ad-aware, and Spybot in Safemode.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    PS: Pressing F-Lock once should be sufficient to toggle to function keys
    (F1, F2, etc) but on my Office keyboards, this only applies after Windows
    is loaded. During the boot process, F-Lock will immediately disengage and
    F8 is once again inactive at the critical moment. Holding the F-Lock key
    down gets around that problem and keeps the function keys available.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Safemode Windows XP