Canon S1 IS OR Panasonic FZ3??

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 14, 2004 8:55:39 AM

I've narrowed my choice down to these 2. I wanted a long, stabilized lens. I
know they are both only 3 megapixels. They are both the same price.
Any opinions on which to get?
Thanks

More about : canon panasonic fz3

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:55:40 AM

lol...is this Xtreme?

C!

"js" <me@mine.com> wrote in message news:41be0ef2$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
> I've narrowed my choice down to these 2. I wanted a long, stabilized lens.
> I know they are both only 3 megapixels. They are both the same price.
> Any opinions on which to get?
> Thanks

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:55:40 AM

All other things being equal, I prefer Canon for cameras and Panasonic
for DVD players. And Canon has been doing IS for a very long time --
and have it down pat.

Phil

js wrote:
> I've narrowed my choice down to these 2. I wanted a long, stabilized lens. I
> know they are both only 3 megapixels. They are both the same price.
> Any opinions on which to get?
> Thanks

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 14, 2004 8:55:40 AM

"js" <me@mine.com> a écrit dans le message de
> I've narrowed my choice down to these 2. I wanted a long, stabilized lens.
> know they are both only 3 megapixels. They are both the same price.
> Any opinions on which to get?

Pana FZ3.
December 14, 2004 8:55:40 AM

Probably the FZ3.

The Canon gives you fine pics, but they're not as good as the FZ3's
output; the review of the FZ3 at dpreview.com has side-by-side photos
taken with the FZ3 and S1 IS. The FZ3 is a bit noisier, but it
captures more detail. The FZ3 is 100g lighter. The FZ3 has a focus
assist light, a boon in low light; the S1 IS has trouble with focus in
low light (and macro, and at full zoom....). The S1 IS has a 380mm
tele, vs. 420mm tele on the FZ3 - a fair difference, actually.

On the down side, the FZ3 has some mild vignetting at full wide angle;
it's not as bad as some, but it's not an issue with the S1 IS.
Good Luck
ECM
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:55:40 AM

"js" <me@mine.com> wrote in message news:41be0ef2$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
> I've narrowed my choice down to these 2. I wanted a long, stabilized lens.
> know they are both only 3 megapixels. They are both the same price.
> Any opinions on which to get?

I got the Panasonic FZ3 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. Since I
(obviously) didn't buy the Canon S1 IS, I can't really make any direct
comparisons.

The batteries are different, in addition to the comments made by others
already. Study some of the digital camera review websites.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:55:40 AM

"js" <me@mine.com> wrote in message news:41be0ef2$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
> I've narrowed my choice down to these 2. I wanted a long, stabilized lens.
> I know they are both only 3 megapixels. They are both the same price.
> Any opinions on which to get?

I was also choosing between those two cameras a few weeks ago and ended up
buying the Canon. What made me choose it was AA batteries and CF card as I
already have a few of them. I also liked the swiwel LCD and the better movie
mode. Although I haven't tried the FZ3 I suppose the Panasonic might have a
better lens and is also a very good camera. What I am not 100% satisfied
with tha S1IS is low light focus, and also the autofocus is a bit slow.

You shoud decide what features are important to you and decide according to
that. There are quite a few compromises in any compact megazoom camera...

--
Jan Otto
Anonymous

Matt B. wrote:
> "js" <me@mine.com> wrote in message news:41be0ef2$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
>
>>I've narrowed my choice down to these 2. I wanted a long, stabilized lens.

>>know they are both only 3 megapixels. They are both the same price.
>>Any opinions on which to get?
>

> I got the Panasonic FZ3 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. Since I
> (obviously) didn't buy the Canon S1 IS, I can't really make any direct
> comparisons.
>
> The batteries are different, in addition to the comments made by others
> already. Study some of the digital camera review websites.

I ditto those comments but in reverse order

Bought the S1 IS - it's OK

Didn't buy the FZ3 so can't really comment

Altho I do know why I went for one over the other

Aerticeus
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:05:29 PM

Good feature comparison. Let me add a few details.

On 13 Dec 2004 15:30:13 -0800, "ECM" <thedeepabyss@whoever.com>
wrote:

>Probably the FZ3.
>
>The Canon gives you fine pics, but they're not as good as the FZ3's
>output; the review of the FZ3 at dpreview.com has side-by-side photos
>taken with the FZ3 and S1 IS. The FZ3 is a bit noisier, but it
>captures more detail. The FZ3 is 100g lighter. The FZ3 has a focus
>assist light, a boon in low light; the S1 IS has trouble with focus in
>low light (and macro, and at full zoom....). The S1 IS has a 380mm
>tele, vs. 420mm tele on the FZ3 - a fair difference, actually.

And, not to forget, the Leica 12x zoom lens of the Panasonic
Lumix DMC-FZ3 keeps its 1 : 2.8 aperture through the entire zoom
range, which the Canon Powershot S1 IS lens does not. It also
has normal USB disk access to its memory module, while the Canon
cameras only offer a proprietary protocol.

>On the down side, the FZ3 has some mild vignetting at full wide angle;
>it's not as bad as some, but it's not an issue with the S1 IS.

The S1 IS has an articulated viewfinder, which I find valuable.
The S1 IS also has a much higher video quality (640 x 480 at 30
frames per second, i.e. full TV quality). And it has some more
features than the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1.

I own a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1-2. My neighbor owns the Canon
Powershot S1 IS.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.