Problem with 5870 Crossfire

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2010 10:51:44 AM

Hey guys,

Ever since I installed a second 5870 into my system, I've had absolutely nothing but problems. At least two games (Starcraft 2 Beta and Sacred 2) do not properly support it, but the problems go well beyond that.

During gaming with Crossfire enabled, everything mostly runs fine (except the 2 aforementioned games), but the problems really start when browsing the internet for some damn reason. I'll be browsing random websites and the computer will hard lock. For some reason, this even happens when Crossfire is disabled. This usually happens when I'm about to load videos in my browser. The last time it happened, the computer would not even boot up - I had to go into Startup Recovery. The last time I tried booting up with both 5870s in my system, the 5870 my monitor was connected to went to 100% fan speed and became really hot - at the Windows loading screen! I took the second 5870 out, and lo and behold, the system seems to run fine now.

I'm using the Catalyst 10.3 drivers, if that means anything at all. And I'm also probably never going to go with Crossfire again, either, unless anyone knows why the hell this is happening. I never, ever had any problems with system lock ups pre-Crossfire, except when my system's overclock locked it up. Ever since then, I've had nothing but problems (started with the computer losing the signal to the monitor and having to reboot entirely to fix it, all the way to what's been happening now). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and before anyone asks, yes, I've tried reseating both 5870s into different slots and using both Crossfire bride connectors as well. I wonder if it could be a faulty connection cable?

More about : problem 5870 crossfire

May 2, 2010 3:19:24 PM

I would ask if the recent card works by itself? Have you tried the Catalyst 10.4 drivers?
m
l
May 2, 2010 3:27:41 PM

I'm actually using the recent card right now, and it's been working through two boots. This problem has been present with every version of Catalyst I've had, but I'll try 10.4 I guess.
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2010 3:34:53 PM

What are your system specs....cpu/ram/psu/etc.
It could be you don't have enough power for the second card.....
Could be you need a motherboard bios update....don't really know till you tell us what you have...
JQ
m
l
May 2, 2010 4:03:05 PM

System specs:

I bought everything in late (Nov/Dec) 2009.

Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 (updated all drivers a couple months ago, no BIOS flash yet)
RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
CPU: Core i7 920 D0 stepping
HDD: G1 Intel X-25M and WD Black 1 TB

I have the computer overclocked to 4 GHz on the CPU, but turning off the OC didn't do anything to help me boot into Windows. I don't think it's an OC problem.

If you need to know anything else, let me know.
m
l
May 2, 2010 4:09:08 PM

I looked around some other forums and seems like this is a pretty common problem with the 5870s (they just have problems running in 2D mode with the reduced clocks it seems, but doesn't really explain my problem).
m
l
May 2, 2010 7:59:46 PM

for that I would wait then, AMD is bound to release a driver to fix these issues since the Radeons did so poorly on 2d testing done by Tom's. Side question which browser are you using and did you try the videos with Adobe Flash 10.1?
m
l
May 2, 2010 8:07:35 PM

mister g said:
for that I would wait then, AMD is bound to release a driver to fix these issues since the Radeons did so poorly on 2d testing done by Tom's. Side question which browser are you using and did you try the videos with Adobe Flash 10.1?

I'm using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. As for Flash.. not sure which version I have installed.

I'm afraid to put the other 5870 in again because what happened was that I actually went into the Startup Recovery utility and did a System Restore.. before what happened was that the loading screen would stutter as it would normally just before loading into Windows, and then it would freeze. I knew it was frozen because the animation with the window was no longer happening. After the System Restore, it wasn't freezing but for some reason it gets stuck when trying to load Windows. Once I took out the 2nd card, all was well.. sigh..

By loading screen, I of course mean the Windows loading screen.
m
l
May 2, 2010 11:00:29 PM

Before you boot right before the flash screen hit F8 and choose to boot into safe mode with the two cards installed, if it boots it could be another program causing the problem.
m
l
May 2, 2010 11:23:50 PM

I have 5870's in crossfire, and have not had problems with Sacred 2. I do not have SC2 beta, so I can't comment on that.

If you are having these troubles, it may be an issue of drivers, or incompatibility.

Oh, I thought I'd mention, there is a bit of an issue with 5870's and CF in respects to the ATI High Definition Audio Devices in the Device Manager. Because the 2nd card is often put the sleep, and in CF mode you don't use the 2nd video card, it can cause issues.

To solve this issue, I have disabled the 2nd ATI High Definition Audio Device. You'll need to test to find out which is the slave card, and disable that one.
m
l
May 3, 2010 12:52:19 AM

You can up the idle clocks of the cards to prevent drivers crashing out.
m
l
May 3, 2010 12:57:30 AM

bystander: How do you determine which is the slave card?

Rofl: How do I do that?

Also, I just flashed my BIOS to the latest version. I'll try inserting the second card again tomorrow, and installing the 10.4 drivers.
m
l
May 3, 2010 2:24:45 AM

You can up the clocks by using the Catalyst Overdrive tool.
m
l
May 3, 2010 2:25:46 AM

mister g said:
You can up the clocks by using the Catalyst Overdrive tool.

But won't that only affect the clocks when the video card is running in game mode? Unless I'm missing something..
m
l
May 3, 2010 4:25:40 AM

jareklajkosz said:
But won't that only affect the clocks when the video card is running in game mode? Unless I'm missing something..

Hey Jarek i'm having some issues with drivers crashing,10.3,10.4 in BFBC2
Have you try to downclock CPU to stock ?
m
l
May 3, 2010 4:32:22 AM

sc2 IS AT BETA PHASE, OFC IT DOESNT SUPPORT, THEY ARE TESTING THE BALANCE NOT TECHNICAL ISSUES.
m
l
May 3, 2010 2:18:28 PM

jareklajkosz said:
bystander: How do you determine which is the slave card?

Rofl: How do I do that?

Also, I just flashed my BIOS to the latest version. I'll try inserting the second card again tomorrow, and installing the 10.4 drivers.

The problem I had was when I plugged in a headset, and it might take 2 mins before it recognized it being plugged in and if I right click the taskbar sound icon and clicked on playback devices, it would freeze for a long time before it would open up the dialog.

When I went to the Device manager and disabled one of the ATI High Definition Audio Device, the problem continued, I knew I disabled the wrong one, and re-enabled that one, then disabled the other. Now it works perfectly. Unfortunately, every time I update my drivers, I must go back and disable the ATI HD Audio Device.
m
l
May 3, 2010 9:09:30 PM

ortoklaz said:
Hey Jarek i'm having some issues with drivers crashing,10.3,10.4 in BFBC2
Have you try to downclock CPU to stock ?

I suppose I could try that, but like I said, when I removed my OC entirely, Windows STILL didn't boot up. Right now I am about to remove my drivers and install 10.4, and then see what happens.

rescawen: Actually, ATI released an Application Profile for SC2 Beta with the 10.4 drivers. :)  I found that out last night.

bystander: If that's the only time when that would actually be an issue, then I doubt it would be a problem for me. The problem I'm having is random crashes in 2D mode, mostly while browsing the net, when I have two cards plugged into the system, and it happens whether Crossfire is enabled or not.
m
l
!