ZombieBiscuit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Well first i am hoping i got the right section for this.

I am looking for a gaming computer and i have a budget of $2000 AUS Dollars. I am not confident enough to build my own PC so of course i am ordering it from somewhere. Currently i am looking at the Dell XPS 8100 with this configuration:
http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=t210108au&c=au&l=en&s=dhs&cs=audhs1

Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor (2.80GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 8MB Cache)
MEMORY 12GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2X4GB/2X2GB)
HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
VIDEO CARD 1792MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260 edit
SOUND CARD Integrated high definition 7.1 channel audio

total: 1,760.89 AUS

This is not hitting my budget so i can up the power a little more.

The computer i am looking for needs to run high intensity games at max settings. I am also going to use it for a lot of 3d modelling and video editing.

Also i will be ordering a computer around October-Novemeber just in time for Xmas.

SO i am asking you guys, is this a good option i have so far? What should i change or am i completely off track?

Luckily for you.....it's far too early to be computer shopping.
I think the i7 860 is an awesome CPU but I'm less than excited about seeing it matched with a GTX 260.
Hopefully, in about 4 1/2 months Dell will have corrected that issue and be offering up a HD 5850 in it's place.

A possibly better option for you is to work through Mwave @ http://www.mwave.com.au
The will let you customize any of several systems they offer. Look under Custom Build System.
Or they will let you select your own list of parts and then build it for $100AUD. On the Custom Build System page - look for the Customize your Dream PC System link.

ZombieBiscuit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Wait, so your saying i can select parts and someone else will build for me? Do they also check if all the parts are good with each other and everything will work fine? If so that seems like a good alternative.

That's exactly what the Customize your Dream PC System option is.
I don't know exactly how good they are at checking parts compatibility. I'm sure they would notice if the parts didn't work together after building and testing. You could always ask the THG forum guys to give a 2nd opinion.
This is what MWave says on that subject:
"Please Note: Customer is responsible regarding parts compatibility, please ensure you do all required research before placing an order, at time of processing Mwave staff will do their best to identify compatibility errors but it will slow down the overall processing time of your order substantially."

ZombieBiscuit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
So other than the advance in the CPU hopefully in the next months you think everything is pretty good at what im looking at doing? I really have no clue when it comes to computer hardware. I just know how to get mine computer to do what i want haha.

If you hang around in here you can actually learn a bit about the stuff inside the computer.
For a gaming computer you might be better off with a i5-750 CPU and a better video card option.

Here is how the GTX 260 stacks up with other video card these days.
dirt2_1920_1200.gif

ZombieBiscuit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Ill be using 1920 x 1080.

If i do go with the xps 8100 ive heard i might need to get a better power supply to support it because dell under clocks the 260 to work or something

EDIT: 2am here and school toomorow, so i have to sleep. Thanks a heap for your help, ill check this in the morning.

ZombieBiscuit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
can i actually get like a base video card on that xps 8100 then buy a HD 5870 say and put that in and it should work fine? If i can even do that o.o i honestly have no clue. Console gamer coming into the PC gaming is a little more challenging then i thought.

Knowing Dell, if you chose a base video card like a Geforce 210 I wouldnt be surprised if they change out the PSU from the GTX 260 wattage model for a less powerful PSU, since the Geforce 210 doesnt need a big PSU. Of course, they won't charge you any less for the smaller PSU.
It's something you'd have to check on carefully.

ZombieBiscuit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hmm now that you bring that up it seems im back at square 1 with the GTX and the i7 or a custom build.

Im might be reading that table wrong but the gtx 260 is the 49 fps one right? Im a little confused because it says 896m next to it.

EDIT: Ok, just did some researching and found its the 49 fps one. Which im not to pleased of : / I'd like to see smething around 60-70 fps.

ZombieBiscuit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Do you think the best option would be to get the xps 8100 right now and then buy a separate HD 5850 to install or even a better GTx. That site you linked me only does i5's or i7 920s which i not to fond of. I think.

Another option could be to go to my local computer store order and build through them maybe?

ZombieBiscuit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
There is this i found:
Case
Antec Three Hundred Tower Gaming
Power Supply
Thermaltake Litepower 700W Power Supply, Active PFC, Silent 120mm Fan
CPU
Intel Core i7 860, 2.80GHz, Quad Core, Intel Turbo Boost Technology, Intel Hyper Threading Technology
Motherboard
MSI P55-GD55, Intel 1156, P55 Chipset, DrMOS, Active Phase Switching, MSI Live Update online, Solid capacitors, ATX
Memory
G.Skill 8GB (4 x 2GB) Dual Channel Memory, 1333MHz, CL 9-9-9-24, DDR3 RAM
SSD
Intel X25-M 80GB SSD Mainstream Solid State Drive - 34nm
HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 3.5" - 1TB HDD, SATAII, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache (ST31000528AS)
Graphics
PowerColor Radeon HD 5870 Video Card, 1024MB 256-bit GDDR5 RAM, 875MHz / 4.9Gbps Clocks, PCIe 2.1, HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, CrossFire Ready, Fan (AX5870-1GBD5-PPDHG)
ODD
Samsung SH-B083A Blu-Ray Combo Drive, 5.25" Internal SATA, Blu-ray Reader & DVD Burner, Cyberlink BD Suite Software
LAN
Gigabit LAN
Audio
7.1 Channel HD Audio, Coaxial/Optical S/PDIF Out connector
OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
Labour
Assembled & Tested
Warranty
1 year return to base warranty

It has the 5870, i would have gone for the 5850. This is almost the same as the xps 8100. This has a better video card but 4gb less RAM. And its 200 more.