Sign in with
Your question

Installing cpu

Last response: in CPUs
August 8, 2010 6:39:28 PM

i have only build 2 pc's and i paid the store 6 buck to install the cpu with the heatsink that came with the processor
the reason is i was afraid to ruin my i72.80ghz and amd phenom ii
but now i think i am ready to do it myself with better thermal compound and heatsink
are there any tutorial on doing this hd format will be best
i tried searching it but only found one with crappy quality
is there a difference between thermal grease and thermal compound

More about : installing cpu

a c 105 à CPUs
August 8, 2010 7:01:55 PM

Thermal compound and thermal grease are two terms for the same type of product. Some call it grease, some call it compound. A good thermal compound is "Arctic Silver 5" - I am sure that there are other products just as good or maybe even better, but AS5 will do the job if applied to well accepted industry practices.

What is the best way to apply the thermal compound? Ask 5 different people and you will get 6 different opinions, and it is quite possible that all methods will do the job.

Personally, I like to polish (some call it lapping) the base of the heatsink and make it flat (or flatter). Leave the CPU heat spreader alone, because it is a shallow drawn sheet metal part and the thermal expansion characteristics are not readily known.

After the base of the heatsink is polished, apply one small (3 mm diameter) dab of AS5 to the base and spread it as evenly as you can by using your finger wrapped in a thin plastic sandwich bag (or a single-edged razor blade, or a credit card edge).

Carefully install the CPU in the motherboard socket. Follow the motherboard manual for instructions. Then apply the AS5 to the CPU heat spreader. Remember, apply as thin a layer and as evenly as as possible.

At this point you may want to place the heatsink upside down on a table and carefully place the motherboard over it, while matching the mounting holes with the heatsink mounting bracket. Now place the retaining bracket and tighten the fasteners in a zig zag fashion. Alternate between opposite fasteners, a turn at a time to ensure even mounting.

After the heatsink is fully fastened, turn the motherboard over and carefully wipe off any residual AS5 using a Q-tip (do not use alcohol swabs at this point).

You are ready to proceed with installing the motherboard with heatsink fastened, into the case, and install the other goodies.

This is a useful guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

m
l
!