Sign in with
Your question

Any ATI Radeon HD vid cards which are compatible with an ASUS P5WD2 ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2010 12:32:39 PM

Hey everyone I am a n00b to this forum and I Just recently joined! I got a question for all of you hardware gurus out there in cyberworld. I have an ASUS P5WD2 (not the premium version) Motherboard in my system. I am trying to find a good graphics card which is ATI Radeon HD and is also compatible with this mother board that I have.. any suggestions?
a c 1318 U Graphics card
May 2, 2010 1:09:44 PM

Your motherboard has a PCIe x 16 slot so all modern ATI HD cards fit. To recommend a specific card is difficult with out knowing;
Which CPU to match it with.
What it is going to be used for.
Monitor resolution.
Size of Power supply.
May 2, 2010 10:12:11 PM

Hey man thanks for your reply. My CPU is a Pentium D. The Dual Core Pentiums. Its an old PC I built back in 06.. Works fine I just want to upgrade the vid card. The monitor resolution is: 1280 x 960. If i am not mistaken my power supply is 550W. What I am going to use it for is mainly just to get better graphics on my screen. I use Gentoo Linux on my home PC and in order for me to be able to use the most up to date driver for ATI Radeon, the card has to be an ATI Radeon HD card. Currently I have an ATI Radeon x700 card and Gentoo has only allowed me to use their "vesa" driver which lets me have a graphical user interface, except it doesnt look that great.. hence the desire for a new card. I have 4 Gigs of RAM as well.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2010 11:36:56 PM

Try the Radeon 5570, although that card is not great for games, for just being able to run Gentoo I'm sure it's fine.
a c 1318 U Graphics card
May 3, 2010 3:40:58 AM

Based on your use a HD4350 or HD5450 would be sufficient. If you are doing any gaming a HD4670 or HD5570 would be considered minimum gaming cards.
May 3, 2010 10:57:18 PM

hey everyone! thanks for your responses. Quick question though, seeing that my motherboard is a bit dated, would it matter if the Vid card i get for it is PCI Express 2.1 x16 or do I have to use just a PCI Express x 16 card?
a c 1318 U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 11:32:20 PM

The new standard is backwards compatible but there have been reports of some older motherboards needing a BIOS update for the 2.1 to work, it is not always available.
!