are you a New Yorker visiting London?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 14, 2004 1:58:53 AM

Hi all,
I am young photography student from London UK and I need a BIG favour.
The digital equipment here is beyond my budget and I wanted to ask someone
visiting London to bring me two small items.

To make it worth your while I can:
- pick you up from either Heathrow or Gatwick airport and drive you to a
London destination free of charge
- offer you a weekends accommodation in central London for free
- pay $150 for you help
I could even take you to a good pub in Kings road for a pint of Guinness :)

If you could do with one of the above, or a just a kind soul wanting to help
me out read on...

This is the large photography store in NY city:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

I need the following equipment :

-Canon eos 20D : $1499
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb...
ialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=eos+20d

-Canon 24-70L f2.8 lens : $1095
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb...
ialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=ef+24-70

Total cost : $2594

This is not some sort of scam, as I will pay cash when I meet you at the
airport.
Please bring the receipts.
I'd travel to New York myself and buy the goods, but the flight cost and the
hotel would wipe out
what I could save.

Please please help me out.
I'd be ever so grateful, and you may even make a friend in London :)

Victor

More about : yorker visiting london

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:58:54 AM

In article <41be1eb2$0$3123$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote:

> Total cost : $2594
>
> This is not some sort of scam, as I will pay cash when I meet you at the
> airport.
> Please bring the receipts.
> I'd travel to New York myself and buy the goods, but the flight cost and the
> hotel would wipe out
> what I could save.
>
> Please please help me out.
> I'd be ever so grateful, and you may even make a friend in London :)
>
> Victor

OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself? They
ship worldwide every day.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous

Why can't you simply get bhphotovideo.com to ship these items to London for
you?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:58:55 AM

"Bob Salomon" <bob_salomon@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> In article <41be1eb2$0$3123$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote:
>
> > Total cost : $2594
> >
> > This is not some sort of scam, as I will pay cash when I meet you at the
> > airport.
> > Please bring the receipts.
> > I'd travel to New York myself and buy the goods, but the flight cost and
the
> > hotel would wipe out
> > what I could save.
> >
> > Please please help me out.
> > I'd be ever so grateful, and you may even make a friend in London :)
> >
> > Victor
>
> OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself? They
> ship worldwide every day.

Customs.

> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:58:56 AM

> Customs.

And if you get inspected at Heathrow, will Victor be there to keep you from
going to jail in Merry Old Britain?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:58:56 AM

>> OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself? They
>> ship worldwide every day.
>
> Customs.

In that case, his American helper would be risking arrest and prosecution,
or at the very least, the loss of a considerable amount of money.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:58:57 AM

In article <UN2dnRoLkMcvtCPcRVn-ug@comcast.com>,
"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote:

> > Customs.
>
> And if you get inspected at Heathrow, will Victor be there to keep you from
> going to jail in Merry Old Britain?

You would probably have to look at it as an educational and cultural
experience.

--

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Customs.
>
> And if you get inspected at Heathrow, will Victor be there to keep you
from
> going to jail in Merry Old Britain?

You don't go to jail if you pay the custom.

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:58:57 AM

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Customs.
>
> And if you get inspected at Heathrow, will Victor be there to keep you
from
> going to jail in Merry Old Britain?

He is not asking someone to transport illegal drugs.

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:58:58 AM

"PeterL" <peterl@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > Customs.
>>
>> And if you get inspected at Heathrow, will Victor be there to keep you
> from
>> going to jail in Merry Old Britain?
>>

> He is not asking someone to transport illegal drugs.

But if he's willing to pay the taxes, why not just have B&H ship the camera
to him?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:43:50 AM

Bob Salomon wrote:

> In article <41be1eb2$0$3123$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote:
>

>>Total cost : $2594
>>
>>This is not some sort of scam, as I will pay cash when I meet you at the
>>airport.
>>Please bring the receipts.
>>I'd travel to New York myself and buy the goods, but the flight cost and the
>>hotel would wipe out
>>what I could save.
>>
>>Please please help me out.
>>I'd be ever so grateful, and you may even make a friend in London :)
>>
>>Victor
>

> OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself? They
> ship worldwide every day.

Hi...

Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.

He's looking for someone (American) to buy a camera,
then before even so much as taking it out of the box
go on vacation to London. Where, of course, they misplace
the camera.

Ken
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:43:51 AM

In article <WOpvd.481045$Pl.404886@pd7tw1no>,
Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
> an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.

So bring a new, in the box, camera and lens and just go through the
green line. Wonder what would happen should Customs decide to check the
gift bringer.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
December 14, 2004 3:08:44 AM

This is not a problem.
I do not need the boxes, only the manuals and the receipts (and the goods of
course).
You do not declare these at customs, you bring them through as your own,
which
they would be at that moment in time. These 2 pieces of kit are small, and
wouldn't
take up much room in your luggage. Just mare sure they don't get knocked
about.

Thanks

> In article <WOpvd.481045$Pl.404886@pd7tw1no>,
> Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
> > an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.
>
> So bring a new, in the box, camera and lens and just go through the
> green line. Wonder what would happen should Customs decide to check the
> gift bringer.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
December 14, 2004 3:17:57 AM

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Bob Salomon wrote:
>
>> In article <41be1eb2$0$3123$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
>> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Total cost : $2594
>>>
>>>This is not some sort of scam, as I will pay cash when I meet you at the
>>>airport.
>>>Please bring the receipts.
>>>I'd travel to New York myself and buy the goods, but the flight cost and
>>>the
>>>hotel would wipe out
>>>what I could save.
>>>
>>>Please please help me out.
>>>I'd be ever so grateful, and you may even make a friend in London :)
>>>
>>>Victor
>>

>> OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself? They
>> ship worldwide every day.
>
> Hi...
>
> Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
> an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.
>
> He's looking for someone (American) to buy a camera,
> then before even so much as taking it out of the box
> go on vacation to London. Where, of course, they misplace
> the camera.
>
> Ken

It's not the problem of smuggling in a camera - no big deal. But the bundle
he's seeking involve too big money layouts. It's next to impossible to have
strangers to do such a favor. Instead, look for friends coming to the States
for vacation to buy the gears for you.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:17:58 AM

leo wrote:
> "Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>

>> Bob Salomon wrote:

>>> OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself?
>>> They ship worldwide every day.
>>
>> Hi...
>>
>> Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
>> an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.
>>
>> He's looking for someone (American) to buy a camera,
>> then before even so much as taking it out of the box
>> go on vacation to London. Where, of course, they misplace
>> the camera.
>>
>> Ken
>

> It's not the problem of smuggling in a camera - no big deal. But the
> bundle he's seeking involve too big money layouts. It's next to
> impossible to have strangers to do such a favor. Instead, look for
> friends coming to the States for vacation to buy the gears for you.

Wouldn't work.
They (the friends) would be subject to the same onerous duties and taxes as
the OP is trying to avoid. And if you think this is some small amount -
think again!
I would do it in a minute (half cash up front if you please - held by a
friend in Hants.) if I was planning to travel to Britain via NYC.
Smuggling (lets call a spade a spade) is a Commonwealth tradition.
Hope you actually find someone who will do this for you.
Regards.
Ken.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Bob Salomon wrote:

> In article <WOpvd.481045$Pl.404886@pd7tw1no>,
> Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
>>an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.
>

> So bring a new, in the box, camera and lens and just go through the
> green line. Wonder what would happen should Customs decide to check the
> gift bringer.

Hi Bob...

Nope, not quite. Don't smuggle it or attempt to at all.

The New Yorker buys himself a camera, intending to use his
new camera on his London vacation, then bring it back home
with him to use "forever" as his camera.

He shows it to UK customs if they're interested, along
with his other stuff - razor, toothbrush, etc.

The trick is - during his vacation, he accidentally {on purpose)
loses it. It's gone. Where oh where could he have left it? :)
Well, WE know where he lost it. He lost it in the home of
the young fellow that wants to buy it at a tax free price.
And that young fellow in turn "loses" some money, which is
now in the New Yorker's pocket :)

The downside (and a little scary) part is that the New
Yorker is in a foreign country alone, carrying a rather
large value in a small box in his suitcase, and being
met by a stranger to be driven about. I mean no disrespect
to the young student, but... not for me, thanks.

Hope this explains a bit better...

Ken
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:18:10 AM

Ken Weitzel wrote:
> Bob Salomon wrote:
>
>> In article <WOpvd.481045$Pl.404886@pd7tw1no>,
>> Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>

>>> Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
>>> an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.
>>

>> So bring a new, in the box, camera and lens and just go through the
>> green line. Wonder what would happen should Customs decide to check
>> the gift bringer.
>
> Hi Bob...
>
> Nope, not quite. Don't smuggle it or attempt to at all.
>
> The New Yorker buys himself a camera, intending to use his
> new camera on his London vacation, then bring it back home
> with him to use "forever" as his camera.
>
> He shows it to UK customs if they're interested, along
> with his other stuff - razor, toothbrush, etc.
>
> The trick is - during his vacation, he accidentally {on purpose)
> loses it. It's gone. Where oh where could he have left it? :)
> Well, WE know where he lost it. He lost it in the home of
> the young fellow that wants to buy it at a tax free price.
> And that young fellow in turn "loses" some money, which is
> now in the New Yorker's pocket :)
>
> The downside (and a little scary) part is that the New
> Yorker is in a foreign country alone, carrying a rather
> large value in a small box in his suitcase, and being
> met by a stranger to be driven about. I mean no disrespect
> to the young student, but... not for me, thanks.

There will be seven of us arriving on December 29, carrying our
wonderful new camera, complete with early trip snapshots on our CF card,
in our touristy camera bag.

Of course if we like the camera we're likely to decide keeping it is the
better idea. After we get to our hotel.

Risks abound.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

>"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote:

> Total cost : $2594

Viktor, note that anyone actually buying the camera in N.Y. will have to pay
hefty city and perhaps state sales taxes (I'm guessing 8-10%? ... less than VAT
but still ...) ... if they don't live in N.Y. and buy the camera mail-order
they'll probably have to pay $50 or so in shipping ... so if they ask for a bit
more than $2,594 that's why :)

>From: Bob Salomon bob_salomon@mindspring.com
>
>OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself? They
>ship worldwide every day.

Customs and VAT probably add 30% or more ...
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:35:35 PM

I only offered a free ride as good will gesture.
I will gladly just hand over the cash at the airport and be on my way...

> Bob Salomon wrote:
>
> > In article <WOpvd.481045$Pl.404886@pd7tw1no>,
> > Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >

> >>Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
> >>an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.
> >

> > So bring a new, in the box, camera and lens and just go through the
> > green line. Wonder what would happen should Customs decide to check the
> > gift bringer.
>
> Hi Bob...
>
> Nope, not quite. Don't smuggle it or attempt to at all.
>
> The New Yorker buys himself a camera, intending to use his
> new camera on his London vacation, then bring it back home
> with him to use "forever" as his camera.
>
> He shows it to UK customs if they're interested, along
> with his other stuff - razor, toothbrush, etc.
>
> The trick is - during his vacation, he accidentally {on purpose)
> loses it. It's gone. Where oh where could he have left it? :)
> Well, WE know where he lost it. He lost it in the home of
> the young fellow that wants to buy it at a tax free price.
> And that young fellow in turn "loses" some money, which is
> now in the New Yorker's pocket :)
>
> The downside (and a little scary) part is that the New
> Yorker is in a foreign country alone, carrying a rather
> large value in a small box in his suitcase, and being
> met by a stranger to be driven about. I mean no disrespect
> to the young student, but... not for me, thanks.
>
> Hope this explains a bit better...
>
> Ken

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:42:47 PM

I see my appeal to for help is falling on deaf ears.
OK, I will pay $150 extra for your help. I guess every one speaks the
language of
cash profit.

I won't feel too bad for my government loosing a few quid in taxes as they
are quite totalitarian really and have moral values that are on a par with a
mountain gorilla...
8)

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.comedy> wrote in message
> >"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote:
>
> > Total cost : $2594
>
> Viktor, note that anyone actually buying the camera in N.Y. will have to
pay
> hefty city and perhaps state sales taxes (I'm guessing 8-10%? ... less
than VAT
> but still ...) ... if they don't live in N.Y. and buy the camera
mail-order
> they'll probably have to pay $50 or so in shipping ... so if they ask for
a bit
> more than $2,594 that's why :)
>

> >From: Bob Salomon bob_salomon@mindspring.com
> >
> >OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself? They
> >ship worldwide every day.
>
> Customs and VAT probably add 30% or more ...

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:05:30 PM

pcs wrote:
[]
> I won't feel too bad for my government loosing a few quid in taxes as
> they are quite totalitarian really and have moral values that are on
> a par with a mountain gorilla...
> 8)

And /your/ proposed actions will force honest citizens to have to pay
/more/ taxes.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:08:59 PM

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> Customs.
>
> And if you get inspected at Heathrow, will Victor be there to keep you
> from going to jail in Merry Old Britain?

For carrying *your* new camera for *your* holiday?

I don't think so!

John Mares
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:13:45 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> pcs wrote:
> []
>> I won't feel too bad for my government loosing a few quid in taxes as
>> they are quite totalitarian really and have moral values that are on
>> a par with a mountain gorilla...
>> 8)
>
> And /your/ proposed actions will force honest citizens to have to pay
> /more/ taxes.

What a load of hot cock. He clearly stated he cannot / will not pay those
taxes. So the 'lost income' never existed.

John Mares
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:15:08 PM

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> Customs.
>
> And if you get inspected at Heathrow, will Victor be there to keep you
> from going to jail in Merry Old Britain?
Explain the jail bit. Why jail?
December 14, 2004 2:15:09 PM

> Because this man is attempting to defraud HM Customs from an Import
> Duty that they are legally allowed to levy on such import business.

Wihtou the boxes ? No one will know that its for someone else, wake up ...
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:17:28 PM

"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I am young photography student from London UK and I need a BIG favour.
> The digital equipment here is beyond my budget and I wanted to ask someone
> visiting London to bring me two small items.
>
> To make it worth your while I can:
> - pick you up from either Heathrow or Gatwick airport and drive you to a
> London destination free of charge
> - offer you a weekends accommodation in central London for free
> - pay $150 for you help
> I could even take you to a good pub in Kings road for a pint of Guinness
> :)

Don't listen - it's a con - there are no good pubs in the King's Road.

Deep.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:46:35 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:08:44 -0000, "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote:

>This is not a problem.
>I do not need the boxes, only the manuals and the receipts (and the goods of
>course).
>You do not declare these at customs, you bring them through as your own,
>which
>they would be at that moment in time. These 2 pieces of kit are small, and
>wouldn't
>take up much room in your luggage. Just mare sure they don't get knocked
>about.

So we now have conspiracy to evade an excise duty and tax. Which you can be
arrested for and which can carry a prison sentence.

By the way I'm reading this and I work at Heathrow. :-)
-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup
December 14, 2004 2:46:36 PM

> So we now have conspiracy to evade an excise duty and tax. Which you can
be
> arrested for and which can carry a prison sentence.
>
> By the way I'm reading this and I work at Heathrow. :-)

wow, its the chance of your life !!! You will probably do the frontpage of
the Daily... for your stupidity.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:49:40 PM

On 14 Dec 2004 01:08:59 GMT, bhilton665@aol.comedy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

>Customs and VAT probably add 30% or more ...

On a digital camera there is no duty just VAT of 17.5%.

-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:18:32 PM

The potter is a fine pub :)
HJ Beans isn't too bad either!

"Deep Reset" <DeepReset@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I am young photography student from London UK and I need a BIG favour.
> > The digital equipment here is beyond my budget and I wanted to ask
someone
> > visiting London to bring me two small items.
> >
> > To make it worth your while I can:
> > - pick you up from either Heathrow or Gatwick airport and drive you to a
> > London destination free of charge
> > - offer you a weekends accommodation in central London for free
> > - pay $150 for you help
> > I could even take you to a good pub in Kings road for a pint of Guinness
> > :)
> >

> Don't listen - it's a con - there are no good pubs in the King's Road.
>
> Deep.

December 14, 2004 3:37:03 PM

This is coming out of nowhere and it's so farfetched, it isn't funny.
This has got to be a monstrous troll ...
It's working... I've just added another message ;-(
Marcel

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Bob Salomon wrote:
>
> > In article <41be1eb2$0$3123$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
> > "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote:
> >

> >>Total cost : $2594
> >>
> >>This is not some sort of scam, as I will pay cash when I meet you at the
> >>airport.
> >>Please bring the receipts.
> >>I'd travel to New York myself and buy the goods, but the flight cost and
the
> >>hotel would wipe out
> >>what I could save.
> >>
> >>Please please help me out.
> >>I'd be ever so grateful, and you may even make a friend in London :)
> >>
> >>Victor
> >

> > OK, I'll bite. Why not just place an order with the store yourself? They
> > ship worldwide every day.
>
> Hi...
>
> Reason is simple... they (his government) will charge him
> an arm and a leg in taxes on the purchase.
>
> He's looking for someone (American) to buy a camera,
> then before even so much as taking it out of the box
> go on vacation to London. Where, of course, they misplace
> the camera.
>
> Ken

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 4:52:38 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:35:35 -0000, "pcs" <viktor@ukf.net> wrote:

>I only offered a free ride as good will gesture.
>I will gladly just hand over the cash at the airport and be on my way...

To complete a fraudulent smuggling transaction within the airport is
incredibly stupid.

Follow this through and you can both look forward to prison time.

--
Owamanga!
December 14, 2004 4:52:39 PM

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:35:35 -0000, "pcs" <viktor@ukf.net> wrote:
>
> >I only offered a free ride as good will gesture.
> >I will gladly just hand over the cash at the airport and be on my way...
>
> To complete a fraudulent smuggling transaction within the airport is
> incredibly stupid.
>
> Follow this through and you can both look forward to prison time.

who said within the airport ?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 4:58:22 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:13:45 GMT, "John Mares" <john@psdsoft.com>
wrote:

>"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> pcs wrote:
>> []
>>> I won't feel too bad for my government loosing a few quid in taxes as
>>> they are quite totalitarian really and have moral values that are on
>>> a par with a mountain gorilla...
>>> 8)
>>
>> And /your/ proposed actions will force honest citizens to have to pay
>> /more/ taxes.
>
>What a load of hot cock. He clearly stated he cannot / will not pay those
>taxes. So the 'lost income' never existed.

You are assuming that the smuggler won't be caught at the airport. You
already know that at least one person at Heathrow is reading this
thread.

He might pay the taxes, plus prison time. And if he & the smuggler
need convicting and time in a prison then they have just cost the UK
taxpayer *a lot* of money.

--
Owamanga!
December 14, 2004 4:58:23 PM

> You are assuming that the smuggler won't be caught at the airport. You
> already know that at least one person at Heathrow is reading this
> thread.

since when they arrested people at heathrow for having a camera with them ?
December 14, 2004 7:21:12 PM

I'd just ignore him Chuck.
I think he wasn't loved as a child. 8)

"Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> > You are assuming that the smuggler won't be caught at the airport. You
> > already know that at least one person at Heathrow is reading this
> > thread.
>
> since when they arrested people at heathrow for having a camera with them
?

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:54:04 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:45:45 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:35:35 -0000, "pcs" <viktor@ukf.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I only offered a free ride as good will gesture.
>> >I will gladly just hand over the cash at the airport and be on my way...
>>
>> To complete a fraudulent smuggling transaction within the airport is
>> incredibly stupid.
>>
>> Follow this through and you can both look forward to prison time.
>
>who said within the airport ?

"At the airport" - within or just outside makes no difference. The UK
have more surveillance cameras than any other country, they are
extremely high-density at airports and cash transactions is one thing
that will gain attention.

Remember, Customs & Excise Officials need no warrants to detain or
search.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:45:45 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de

>>> To complete a fraudulent smuggling transaction within the airport is
>>> incredibly stupid.
>>>
>>> Follow this through and you can both look forward to prison time.
>>
>>who said within the airport ?
>
> "At the airport" - within or just outside makes no difference. The UK
> have more surveillance cameras than any other country, they are
> extremely high-density at airports and cash transactions is one thing
> that will gain attention.
>
> Remember, Customs & Excise Officials need no warrants to detain or
> search.

All true, but realistically you are very unlikely to get nabbed doing this
kind of transaction. Customs would have very little chance of noticing the
gear anyway - after all, yanks are known for coming over here with big
cameras strapped around their necks....

I personally walked through UK customs last week with a big Nikon lens box
and an Omega watch box in a clear bag. No-one even batted an eyelid. I've
also walked brand new mountain bikes and sets of golf clubs through customs
too - again, no interest and 40% savings on UK prices. We do get ripped off
here and there is no reason for it. I wouldn't mind if we actually got more
for our tax dollars, but our governement is just great at pissing away
billions of pounds on nothing other than their own retirement funds.

The thing that makes this complicated is getting someone else involved
though. Viktor's best bet is to just save up a few more quid and then go on
holiday to the US anyway. £183 RTN is the cheapest flight I can find within
10 seconds on google.

So - a weekend in New York to test out the new 20D, and still a saving on
the UK prices.....
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:14:51 PM

adm wrote:
[]
> I personally walked through UK customs last week with a big Nikon
> lens box and an Omega watch box in a clear bag. No-one even batted an
> eyelid. I've also walked brand new mountain bikes and sets of golf
> clubs through customs too - again, no interest and 40% savings on UK
> prices.
[]

But doubtless they were for your own use, and you /looked/ honest. Yes?

David
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:21:54 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:49:42 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>> You are assuming that the smuggler won't be caught at the airport. You
>> already know that at least one person at Heathrow is reading this
>> thread.
>
>since when they arrested people at heathrow for having a camera with them ?

I don't have access to their arrest or conviction data.

Brand new boxed high-value goods with receipts and a document proving
that you are attempting to import goods for sale within the UK will
provide more than enough evidence for a conviction. The value limit is
for gifts & goods is 145.00 UKP

It can be cameras, drugs, weapons, gold, cash or mushrooms - makes no
difference it's all smuggling. It carries up to 7 years in prison and
an unlimited fine. I *think* they also stamp "SMUGGLER" in your
passport.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

> adm wrote:
> []
>> I personally walked through UK customs last week with a big Nikon
>> lens box and an Omega watch box in a clear bag. No-one even batted an
>> eyelid. I've also walked brand new mountain bikes and sets of golf
>> clubs through customs too - again, no interest and 40% savings on UK
>> prices.
> []
>
> But doubtless they were for your own use, and you /looked/ honest. Yes?

Own use - yes.

As for looking honest - my wife doesn't think so.

Seriously though - no customs officer would question whether a camera and
lens was "own use" or not (especially if there were a bunch of photos on the
card already) - unless someone was stupid enough to bring the
box/manuals/software/etc..... (Hint: the boxes fold flat and can be mailed
in advance along with the manuals etc..)

> David

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:08:34 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:11:18 -0000, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "At the airport" - within or just outside makes no difference. The UK
>> have more surveillance cameras than any other country, they are
>> extremely high-density at airports and cash transactions is one thing
>> that will gain attention.
>>
>> Remember, Customs & Excise Officials need no warrants to detain or
>> search.
>

>All true, but realistically you are very unlikely to get nabbed doing this
>kind of transaction. Customs would have very little chance of noticing the
>gear anyway - after all, yanks are known for coming over here with big
>cameras strapped around their necks....

Agreed, it's unlikely. But I've never witnessed a conspiracy to
smuggle being openly discussed on usenet before, so who knows what
could happen.

>I personally walked through UK customs last week with a big Nikon lens box
>and an Omega watch box in a clear bag. No-one even batted an eyelid. I've
>also walked brand new mountain bikes and sets of golf clubs through customs
>too - again, no interest and 40% savings on UK prices. We do get ripped off
>here and there is no reason for it. I wouldn't mind if we actually got more
>for our tax dollars, but our governement is just great at pissing away
>billions of pounds on nothing other than their own retirement funds.

I think you'll find more of it goes to supporting immigrants and
worthless layabouts by paying them beer money and giving them free
housing than is being syphoned. Not important anyway, yes tax is too
high there, which is why I moved to Florida. Sales tax: 6%, no state
income tax and it's a *little bit* warmer. Petrol here is 25 pence per
litre but we *still* complain about it.

You would have thought that cramming 60 million people into one small
island should bring some economy of scale that the US can't compete
with, yet nearly *everything* is cheaper here, including taxes and
we've got a sodding huge armed forces to boot. Of course, what we
don't have is UB40s.

>The thing that makes this complicated is getting someone else involved
>though. Viktor's best bet is to just save up a few more quid and then go on
>holiday to the US anyway. £183 RTN is the cheapest flight I can find within
>10 seconds on google.
>
>So - a weekend in New York to test out the new 20D, and still a saving on
>the UK prices.....

Excellent suggestion, and this way he won't be making himself a
criminal, because the goods are personal use & used not new.

The £183 flight is a bargain. Flights to NY seem to be very cheap. I
can fly return from West Palm Beach to NY for $69 on Delta. That's 3c
per mile.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

In article <hk9ur01urbmqng8vjls57l2ivgg2orfvg4@4ax.com>,
nomail@hotmail.com says...
> You would have thought that cramming 60 million people into one small
> island should bring some economy of scale that the US can't compete
> with, yet nearly *everything* is cheaper here, including taxes and
> we've got a sodding huge armed forces to boot. Of course, what we
> don't have is UB40s.

Or a skyrocketing national debt and a drastically underfunded public
pension plan.

Enjoy the low taxes while you can - they won't last long.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:11:18 -0000, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>>"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "At the airport" - within or just outside makes no difference. The UK
>>> have more surveillance cameras than any other country, they are
>>> extremely high-density at airports and cash transactions is one thing
>>> that will gain attention.
>>>
>>> Remember, Customs & Excise Officials need no warrants to detain or
>>> search.
>>

>>All true, but realistically you are very unlikely to get nabbed doing this
>>kind of transaction. Customs would have very little chance of noticing the
>>gear anyway - after all, yanks are known for coming over here with big
>>cameras strapped around their necks....
>
> Agreed, it's unlikely. But I've never witnessed a conspiracy to
> smuggle being openly discussed on usenet before, so who knows what
> could happen.

Yeah - that's the kicker for sure. Still - if Vik gets any bites I'm sure
he'll take it to private email.

>>I personally walked through UK customs last week with a big Nikon lens box
>>and an Omega watch box in a clear bag. No-one even batted an eyelid. I've
>>also walked brand new mountain bikes and sets of golf clubs through
>>customs
>>too - again, no interest and 40% savings on UK prices. We do get ripped
>>off
>>here and there is no reason for it. I wouldn't mind if we actually got
>>more
>>for our tax dollars, but our governement is just great at pissing away
>>billions of pounds on nothing other than their own retirement funds.
>
> I think you'll find more of it goes to supporting immigrants and
> worthless layabouts by paying them beer money and giving them free
> housing than is being syphoned.

That's about right.

>Not important anyway, yes tax is too
> high there, which is why I moved to Florida. Sales tax: 6%, no state
> income tax and it's a *little bit* warmer. Petrol here is 25 pence per
> litre but we *still* complain about it.

It's not so much the income taxes or VAT here that's the killer, it's more
the stealth taxes and duties that are the killer. As you say - petrol is 25p
a litre versus about 80p here. And the difference is all tax. That's a load
of money. Same kind of tax rates on beer, cigarettes - almost anything
enjoyable.

> You would have thought that cramming 60 million people into one small
> island should bring some economy of scale that the US can't compete
> with, yet nearly *everything* is cheaper here, including taxes and
> we've got a sodding huge armed forces to boot. Of course, what we
> don't have is UB40s.

Right. Not to much extent anyway. You also don't have the "the world owes me
a living" attitude, or the benefit culture that runs rife over here.
Probably not as many people making a serious living defrauding the state for
benefits either. All good things.

>>The thing that makes this complicated is getting someone else involved
>>though. Viktor's best bet is to just save up a few more quid and then go
>>on
>>holiday to the US anyway. £183 RTN is the cheapest flight I can find
>>within
>>10 seconds on google.
>>
>>So - a weekend in New York to test out the new 20D, and still a saving on
>>the UK prices.....
>
> Excellent suggestion, and this way he won't be making himself a
> criminal, because the goods are personal use & used not new.

It's all good.

And he shouldn't have to pay NY sales tax.
December 14, 2004 10:16:11 PM

Ok look like I'll have to fly over to the apple myself.
What is the deal for me purchasing goods in NY?
Someone mentioned I won't have to pay NY sales tax...

Thanks

Oh, I will go to B&H photo, is this the best place to get a good cash price?

"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:o MadnREeF_3KpCLcRVn-tg@giganews.com...
> [...]
> Probably not as many people making a serious living defrauding the state
for
> benefits either. All good things.
>

> >>The thing that makes this complicated is getting someone else involved
> >>though. Viktor's best bet is to just save up a few more quid and then go
> >>on
> >>holiday to the US anyway. £183 RTN is the cheapest flight I can find
> >>within
> >>10 seconds on google.
> >>
> >>So - a weekend in New York to test out the new 20D, and still a saving
on
> >>the UK prices.....
> >
> > Excellent suggestion, and this way he won't be making himself a
> > criminal, because the goods are personal use & used not new.
>
> It's all good.
>
> And he shouldn't have to pay NY sales tax.

December 14, 2004 10:18:42 PM

In article <41bf3c01$0$301$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, pc-
services@ukf.net says...

> Ok look like I'll have to fly over to the apple myself.
> What is the deal for me purchasing goods in NY?
> Someone mentioned I won't have to pay NY sales tax...

If you buy it in NYC, you'll have to pay NY sales tax.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
December 14, 2004 10:25:26 PM

So as a British citizen I pay the same price as a local walking into the
store?

"Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
> In article <41bf3c01$0$301$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, pc-
> services@ukf.net says...
> >
> > Ok look like I'll have to fly over to the apple myself.
> > What is the deal for me purchasing goods in NY?
> > Someone mentioned I won't have to pay NY sales tax...
>
> If you buy it in NYC, you'll have to pay NY sales tax.
> --
> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
December 14, 2004 10:25:27 PM

In article <41bf3e2c$0$301$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, pc-services@ukf.net
says...
> So as a British citizen I pay the same price as a local walking into the
> store?

If you use American (US) dollars to pay with, you ARE a local walking into
the store as far as the clerks are concerned.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

> > If you buy it in NYC, you'll have to pay NY sales tax.
>
> So as a British citizen I pay the same price as a local walking into the
> store?

Yep. The only way to avoid a state sales tax is to have it shipped out
of state.

-Dave
December 14, 2004 10:51:55 PM

Owamanga wrote:

> Agreed, it's unlikely. But I've never witnessed a conspiracy to
> smuggle being openly discussed on usenet before, so who knows what
> could happen.

In which case, I shouldn't say anything about the thousands of pesos
worth of scuba gear I take into Mexico every year - to be used by me and
my amigos. Have you seen the price of neoprene gaskets down there
lately? or valve stems? rebuild kits for Yamaha carburetors? Jeez....!!

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
!