Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Case Air Flow

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2010 3:33:15 PM

Hey guys,

I recently built a new computer and I've been reading online that its best to have a negative pressure inside your case to have effective air flow. I have 5 fans total. Right now I have 2 120mm and 1 140mm as intakes and 1 120mm and 1 140mm as exhaust. My case is the Scout mid tower.

Would taking out one of my 120mm fans increase airflow and reduce temps?

More about : case air flow

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 5:14:36 PM

Removing a fan will decrease airflow and possibly increase temperatures
if you want to play with pos/neg pressures, turn a fan round so an intake becomes an exhaust.
post more precise details on fans location, pc's living space clearances etc and I can have a think on it, Scouts are nice towers tho :p 
Moto
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 5:21:17 PM

If you have a side fan take it out (it seems you have two). Leave just the front as intake and top and back as exhaust.
Score
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 6:01:35 PM

There are lots of opinions of whether positive or negative net internal pressure is best - I'm for positive, myself. But strictly from the standpoint of cooling, the key consideration is not net pressure, it is volume of air flowing through. Second-most important is smooth airflow path, especially past/through high heat producers. BUT, make sure the path does not simply bypass those heat producers and flow swiftly from intake to outlet without cooling anything.
Score
June 7, 2010 7:16:01 PM

here is an general opinion .

side: intake
bottom:intake
front:intake.
rear: exhaust
top:exhaust.

i hav done this the top exhaust works as a chimney system this is the best option.
Score
June 14, 2010 12:52:23 AM

g00se216 said:
Hey guys,

I recently built a new computer and I've been reading online that its best to have a negative pressure inside your case to have effective air flow. I have 5 fans total. Right now I have 2 120mm and 1 140mm as intakes and 1 120mm and 1 140mm as exhaust. My case is the Scout mid tower.

Would taking out one of my 120mm fans increase airflow and reduce temps?

Hey guys I really appreciate the responses. I moved a couple of the side panels fans around to have 1 intake and the other exhaust and it raised my temps 2C. Now I think I'm going to keep my fan setup this way: 2 side intakes, a rear exhaust, a top exhaust, and a front intake. So far my temps have been 5C cooler with this positive pressure and it gives me a somewhat of a woody. : )
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2010 9:46:09 PM

Thats the set up most would have recommended :)  Glad you got sorted out man, only thing I'd add is, if you have several sidefans on a panel, have them all the same, intake or out,
Moto
Score
June 20, 2010 1:05:49 AM

Best answer selected by g00se216.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2010 1:53:21 PM

Thank you for best answer dude :) 
Moto
Score
March 18, 2011 5:14:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey