Closed Solved

Case Air Flow

Hey guys,

I recently built a new computer and I've been reading online that its best to have a negative pressure inside your case to have effective air flow. I have 5 fans total. Right now I have 2 120mm and 1 140mm as intakes and 1 120mm and 1 140mm as exhaust. My case is the Scout mid tower.

Would taking out one of my 120mm fans increase airflow and reduce temps?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about case flow
  1. Best answer
    Removing a fan will decrease airflow and possibly increase temperatures
    if you want to play with pos/neg pressures, turn a fan round so an intake becomes an exhaust.
    post more precise details on fans location, pc's living space clearances etc and I can have a think on it, Scouts are nice towers tho :P
    Moto
  2. If you have a side fan take it out (it seems you have two). Leave just the front as intake and top and back as exhaust.
  3. There are lots of opinions of whether positive or negative net internal pressure is best - I'm for positive, myself. But strictly from the standpoint of cooling, the key consideration is not net pressure, it is volume of air flowing through. Second-most important is smooth airflow path, especially past/through high heat producers. BUT, make sure the path does not simply bypass those heat producers and flow swiftly from intake to outlet without cooling anything.
  4. here is an general opinion .

side: intake
    bottom:intake
    front:intake.
    rear: exhaust
    top:exhaust.

i hav done this the top exhaust works as a chimney system this is the best option.
  5. g00se216 said:
    Hey guys,

I recently built a new computer and I've been reading online that its best to have a negative pressure inside your case to have effective air flow. I have 5 fans total. Right now I have 2 120mm and 1 140mm as intakes and 1 120mm and 1 140mm as exhaust. My case is the Scout mid tower.

Would taking out one of my 120mm fans increase airflow and reduce temps?

Hey guys I really appreciate the responses. I moved a couple of the side panels fans around to have 1 intake and the other exhaust and it raised my temps 2C. Now I think I'm going to keep my fan setup this way: 2 side intakes, a rear exhaust, a top exhaust, and a front intake. So far my temps have been 5C cooler with this positive pressure and it gives me a somewhat of a woody. : )
  6. Thats the set up most would have recommended :) Glad you got sorted out man, only thing I'd add is, if you have several sidefans on a panel, have them all the same, intake or out,
    Moto
  7. Best answer selected by g00se216.
  8. Thank you for best answer dude :)
    Moto
  9. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cases Computer Systems