Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp netbook install

Last response: in Windows XP
March 4, 2013 1:21:41 AM

I have tried to install Windows xp more than once on an Asus netbook. It only has a 4gb hdd, 512mb of Ram and a celeron m 900mhz cpu. I tried installing it from an external dvd drive, and it got halfway through the installation, rebooted then displayed a message saying the NTLDR is missing. I have tried making a system image on a flash drive after preparing the flash drive with the partition manager with the command prompt with no luck. Does anyone know an easy way to do this that works? Is my HDD big enough to install xp sp3?
March 5, 2013 8:09:59 AM

you can just fit an xp install on to some thing like that but you would have to remove most of if not all the optianal parts to the install and not install past dotnet v2
have done installs like this and would not recomend it!!
you would be better off finding one of the open source OS's that come in a "lite" vertion and installing that
but even that will run very slow.
m
l
March 5, 2013 1:02:36 PM

mrfatbox said:
you can just fit an xp install on to some thing like that but you would have to remove most of if not all the optianal parts to the install and not install past dotnet v2
have done installs like this and would not recomend it!!
you would be better off finding one of the open source OS's that come in a "lite" vertion and installing that
but even that will run very slow.

I tried installing Lubuntu, a light weight linux and it froze during install. It now has no OS and the computer isn't mine it's a person who was going to pay me to put XP on it. I don't know what to do.
m
l
March 7, 2013 6:57:13 PM

I figured it out. There was a partition on the HDD that said BIOS and it was labeled as C: drive, so I deleted that and everything works. I was afraid to delete it because I thought the BIOS was actually on the hard drive but it isn't and XP is now installed and working.
m
l
!