Question about using DDR3-1333 RAM in a DDR3-1066 system.

Atlantian

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I upgraded my Sony VAIO VPCF132FX from 4 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM to 8 GB. A friend of mine has an Acer AO522-BZ499 with 1 GB of DDR3-1066 RAM and I was wondering if I could put my 2 GB DDR3-1333 RAM in her system? I know that the system can run with 4 GB of RAM without a problem, but since it is a netbook with Windows 7 Starter the OS limits the usable RAM to 2 GB. Before using the system after the RAM upgrade (which is also what I did with my VAIO after the RAM upgrade) we are going to run Memtest86+ to make sure the RAM works without a problem. We will also leave it running overnight using the bit fade test as well.

The reason I am a bit paranoid with this is because she uses her computer for work to do stuff on Adobe Illustrator and a few other Adobe programs. If I understand everything correctly it should work and if there is a major problem then the system simply won't POST at which point I will put the original RAM in. More than anything I just wanted to be sure everything will work the way it is suppose to because I know what it is like relying on your computer to make a living.

No, you have it backwards. The memory limitation is is because of the hardware, not the OS. First gen netbooks have only one memory slot. I know that a single 2 GB SO-DIMM will work. A 4 GB SO-DIMM might work.

ssssssssssssss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

4GB will work on the Acer, but Windows Starter DOES limit memory used to 2GB.