Fully SSD system vs SDD&HDD MIX

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello.
I'm building a new rig especially for gaming.
I heard some great stuff about building a system fully on SSD DRIVES. I want to buy 256gb crucial ssd but not sure if it will be sufficient. some1 told me go for it and buy another ssd in a dew months cuz prices will drop, but im not sure thats true. mixing good ssd and hdd still costs alot, and since most my games on steam i will hav to put them on the ssd.
is thrre performance gain w games on ssd? quicker loads or what?
any risks? some1 told me its more prone to viruses...

ssd make good boot drives for the os. and any program that installed one and you leave it alone. ssd have a set write life. so browser cache or windows cache files should be on a hd. ssd do make windows and programs run faster. myself i have a 128 intel ssd. use it for main drive and have my main aps (word) and (coh city of heros) loaded on the drive. any of my other non needed aps like itunes for my ipad are on my hd.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Im probably the one who recomended the ALL SSD system, let me explain in further detail why you should do it.

AS you said before, this will be a exclusive gaming system. People here have 3TB desktop computers cause they hold a lot movies and photos. But for a gaming system, 250GB is fine. Simply go adding as you need more storage, a new 250GB will give you more 2 years of gaming storage, there is no way you can play 250GB of games in 2 years, you do have a life, dont you?

The all SSD will give you a better computing experience, and faster gaming loads/saves/installs.

People here are paranoid that a SSD will fail. Well, HDD will fail sooner anyways, YOU MUST HAVE BACKUPS NO MATTER WHAT

Just so you know, the lifespan of a SSD is 20GB per day times 10 years. As regular user, or gaming, you wont move more then 1GB per day. That means your SSD will run for 200 years. I believe you will exchange your computer before that.

So no worries, go ALL SSD and have fun!

thbrett

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
The OS, programs and games will run/load faster with an SSD so install them onto the SSD. what I do with the systems I build is make a 120GB SSD or more as the boot drive then use a large HDD as the data and storage because most of the time you don't need data to load that fast and now you have the best of both worlds speed and lots of space, someday SSD drives will have lots of space and be cheap but for now this seems to be the best setup I have used.