Klimkow

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Is a heatsink needed when running a CPU? I'm in the process of building a computer and the CPU I bought is an Intel i7 930. If I don't plan on overclocking should I still buy a heatsink? Or if I do overclock even a little would I still need to buy one in order for my CPU to stay cool / safe? I do play many games and what not. If I do need a Heatsink, I was looking into http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Universal-Heat-Pipe/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275942648&sr=8-1 How would that do?

tecmo34

Administrator
If you don't plan on overclocking, the stock fan will perform just fine!! If you think you will overclock down the road, you can either buy a HSF now or wait until you plan on overclocking to purchase one, but you should be a HSF when you overclock. Typically, I recommend buying one upfront so you don't have to take the motherboard out to install when you want to add on. It will just help your temps on stock, so there is nothing to lose by getting one at the initial build time.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
For one, you'll always need a HSF for the CPU. I personally don't care much for the stock HSF that comes with the CPU. If you can do it go ahead and get the one you've listed if that's the one you like, and if you ever overclock or just have the computer in a hot area you'll already be set. I say; do it once, do it right.