Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Amd or intel?

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2010 5:13:06 PM

Hi all

I'm thinking of upgrading my current system and am tossing up between whether to go intel i5-750 or amd phenom ii x4 965BE. To my understanding, going AMD seems a better choice as future processors would still be using the same am3 socket. I know the i5-750 outperforms the 965be but IMO going amd would sorta make it easier to upgrade my processor and go CF in the near future. Any thoughts?

The system will be mainly for gaming (ie crysis, bad company 2). I'll also be getting the 5850 plus mobo and suitable ram of course.

Thanks for any input. I'll be looking at buying the necessary parts within the next couple weeks.

More about : amd intel

June 7, 2010 5:24:15 PM

If the system is mainly for Gaming the 965 will be plenty fast.
m
l
June 7, 2010 6:04:30 PM

i5 750 every time. yes AMD sockets seem to have a longer life for upgrades, but the current amd chips are directly based on the old K10 and even some links with the old K8 architecture.

i5 or i7's for that matter and faster, more overclockable
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 2:20:01 AM

What about the longetivity of the i5/i7 build? I was thinking from a value perspective it would be better to go with the am3 platform as I can upgrade easier without havin to buy another motherboard in the future. Am looking at getting the 890gx for the Amd 965.

I will be buying the parts in Australia and both systems will be quite similar in price. I've done abut of research on the amd but do enlighten me with any other CPUs I should be looking at.
m
l
a b À AMD
June 8, 2010 2:35:42 AM

An i5 750 system with minor system upgrades (2nd GPU, SSD, etc) will easily last two years at the current rate of game development. Most games still only require a dual core outside a few which benefit from a quad core (still require a dual-core). The system will in-turn be overall more powerful as well. You can look at it this way to... The current AMD X6 (hex-cores) competes with the current Intel Quad-Cores (i7), so less cores on an Intel is still more powerful than more cores on an AMD.

If you go the AM3 route, save some cash and just get the X4 955 instead (the X4 965 is basically an overclocked version).
m
l
June 8, 2010 3:00:18 AM

I dont know about most people, but i build a new system every 3 years. I might add another HD 5850 in my system if needed but i wont put a new CPU in a 3 year old mobo, i might build a HTPC with my old mobo i5 750 and ram and get a new mobo ram cpu and gpu. When in 6 months yesterdays top of the line is just middle of the road 3 years is along time.
m
l
June 8, 2010 3:06:53 AM

If you do decide to go Intel and live near a Microcenter, they have i7 860s for just $200.
m
l
June 8, 2010 3:40:12 AM

Why stop at the I7-860 when just for a few dollars more you can have the I7-875K.
m
l
June 8, 2010 1:05:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll take on your advice and go with the i5-750.

Another quick question: is it normal for the 5850 gpu to reach more than 80degrees celsius? I've just bought the xfx 5850 normal edition and ran furmark with xtreme burning mode and am getting 86 degrees max after 5-7 mins.
m
l
a b À AMD
June 8, 2010 4:00:09 PM

I would say the GPU temps under full load aren't unreasonable, specially if you case doesn't have the best air flow.
m
l
June 8, 2010 4:22:14 PM

If you go the AM3 route, you will only be able to use newer CPUs if the system manufacturer provides BIOS updates for it. Even though Bulldozer CPUs will probably be AM3, they will likely need a BIOS update to do so which means you need to get a good board from the likes of Gigabyte, ASUS, or ASRock that update their BIOS regularly. The cost effective solution is to go with a 955 Black Edition C3 CPU and overclock it. Hopefully you will then be able to upgrade it latter. You could instead go with an Intel Setup now, but it looks like LGA 1156 will be replaced soon by LGA 1155 meaning you won't have much of an upgrade path.
m
l
June 8, 2010 4:47:30 PM

kg4icg said:
Why stop at the I7-860 when just for a few dollars more you can have the I7-875K.

Why not just take your hard earned money and just light it aflame hoping the ashes bring you good will from the gods?

The unlocked multipliers from the 875k offer absolutely nothing whatsoever and for most people they'll actually see an overall decrease in system performance by cranking the multiplier too high and decreasing the BCLK.

Current 860 overclocks just fine.
m
l
June 8, 2010 5:17:25 PM

a4mula said:
Why not just take your hard earned money and just light it aflame hoping the ashes bring you good will from the gods?

Because the gods demand virgens and gold. I dont think they work on currencys.

But agreed again, 860 is great.
m
l
June 9, 2010 12:22:52 PM

tecmo34 said:
I would say the GPU temps under full load aren't unreasonable, specially if you case doesn't have the best air flow.

The side of the case is left open and it's winter in Australia at the moment. What I've read though from other forums is that it's normal when running furmark and temps will be lower during gaming. I've yet to test this out.
m
l
June 9, 2010 12:47:45 PM

megamanx00 said:
If you go the AM3 route, you will only be able to use newer CPUs if the system manufacturer provides BIOS updates for it. Even though Bulldozer CPUs will probably be AM3, they will likely need a BIOS update to do so which means you need to get a good board from the likes of Gigabyte, ASUS, or ASRock that update their BIOS regularly. The cost effective solution is to go with a 955 Black Edition C3 CPU and overclock it. Hopefully you will then be able to upgrade it latter. You could instead go with an Intel Setup now, but it looks like LGA 1156 will be replaced soon by LGA 1155 meaning you won't have much of an upgrade path.

Well if I do go for the 955 BE, I will be going pairing it with this

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The difference between going the AM3 route or Intel i5-750 is around AUD $60-100 taking into account both CPU and motherboard.

m
l

Best solution

June 9, 2010 1:37:00 PM

Personally I like AMD. Always had good luck with them. As others have said, possibility of future upgrades seems better as well. Intel just seems overpriced in my opinion. With the money you save, you can always grab more memory, or look at the video card that was a step above what you may have considered before. Just my 2 cents.
June 11, 2010 1:28:26 PM

Best answer selected by apachaihopachai.
m
l
!