Sign in with
Your question

Using old Hard Drive with new desktop?

Last response: in Storage
July 29, 2012 2:42:16 PM

Hello, so I ordered a new ibuypower desktop, but i chose the option that is only a preformatted hard drive with no OS installed for 2 reasons. 1 is because i just didn't wanna spend the money as my college website offers free Windows 7 downloads so I'll just burn it on a CD that way if i needed to.

Second reason is because i was wondering if I could physically use the Hard Drive from the old desktop as the drive with the OS installed and its programs. I realize i need to install new drivers and everything, but is this possible?

Here's the old desktop specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...

Motherboard - IPMTB-TK (Truckee)
Processor - Intel Core i7 930
Memory - 8 GB
Video graphics - GTX 550 ti
Sound/Audio - Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio
Networking - LAN: 10-Base-T
- 802.11 Wireless a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card
Hard drive - 1 TB
Power Supply - 460W

Here's the new desktop specs:

1 x Processor (Intel® Core™ i5-3570 Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache)))
1 x Motherboard ([SLI] ASUS P8Z77-V LK -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0))
1 x Memory (8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X))
1 x Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 2GB - EVGA FTW - Core: 1084MHz - Single Card))
1 x Power Supply (1000 Watt - Standard))
1 x Primary Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s))
1 x Sound Card (Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE))

Also I just noticed that it did not come with a wireless card...odd...seems that they do not offer any internal wireless cards, the only option is the buy an adapter...anyway I'm wondering if i can move the old wireless card into the new desktop to use?

Thanks for any help

More about : hard drive desktop

a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 2:50:45 PM

Yes probably it's possible to move the drive and hack together a semi-working machine, but do it the right way and get Win 7 from .edu and install it clean. The old machine still likes like a great computer not sure why you would want to leave it in a non-working state.

You should be able to move the wifi card without issue to your new machine.
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:02:36 PM

I am giving the old system to my brother and he has his own hard drive he wants to bring over from his old system.

So would it be more hassle to transfer these hard drives to the new system or just wipe everything and start fresh in the new system?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 9:04:54 PM

Personally I would do a clean install. A lot of times people try to move drive etc because they don't have a Windows install disk, or they don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling all their programs on a clean Windows installation.

It is always going to be best to do a clean install on a new system.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 9:20:49 PM

^+1 and you will be starting with a fresh OS that does not have all the "baggage" from the other computer. Unless the 2 computers had very similar hardware - it is more trouble than it's worth to try and make the OS work in the new computer.
-Bruce
m
l
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 11:58:03 PM

How old is this drive? If it's older then a year i'd prefer installing a fresh drive as the primary drive/OS. I tell people they can use their older drives as a secondary just to avoid any major OS faults, just my 2 cents.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 12:30:58 AM

Trying to move a drive with an installed OS from 1 system to another, especially if the hardware is different, is a pain at best, always best to do a fresh new install. The other part no has mentioned yet, if the original system came with the OS, it's an OEM version of the OS, and you cannot move it to another system anyway. You will have to have it reactivated on the new system, and Microsoft is not going to give you a new activation code for an OEM verison of their software on a different computer that it was sold with. So you might as well go ahead with the student version you can get, and start that new computer off right with a fresh install of the OS.
m
l
!