What is the difference between my ATI Radeon HD 3200 Integrated Graphics Card th

G

Hello, I'm a bit confused and having some trouble. I have a Gateway DX4300-11 and I am looking to upgrade the graphics card to a higher end ATI card like the Radeon HD 5770. But my graphics card right now is a ATI Radeon HD 3200 Integrated card. What does Integrated mean?

And I have also had trouble upgrading this card? The AMD website for downloading the newest patches has a pretty easy way of finding your card and upgrading it. I can't find any updates for my Radeon HD 3200 anywhere on the website, it seems to jump right over the Radeon HD 3200 series in the update list. I have no idea if my graphics card is up to date, and that's where I would like to know if my issue is just a graphics problem.

In a simple way, integrate means on board.. When referred to an integrated chip it means that the chip has been designed and fused on to the platform (motherboard in this case) along with the other components.. In an integrated graphics sub-system the processing unit is on the motherboard and it shares your system RAM for its memory use..

http://www.amd.com/uk/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

In the above link, look for the 'Download Drivers' section.. In the first section marked as 'Component Category' select 'Graphics'.. In the next category select whichever operating system you are using.. In the next category select 'Integrated/Motherboard'.. In the next category choose 'Radeon 3200 Series'.. Click on view results.. A page appears with your download options.. Select and download the latest releases..

BTW if you've the default windows 64 bit home premium installed in your desktop then click on the link below to see the latest graphics updates for it..

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

G

Thank you for the links and great info. So if I wanted to upgrade the graphics card in my CPU, would I also have to get a different motherboard? I am willing to spend whatever to upgrade my system. I was also looking at a 900 w power supply but I don't know if it would fit.

Thanks for the great answers!

G

Actually that didn't work. I downloaded the Radeon 3200 graphics drivers and it installed correctly then on the restart it said something along the lines of "No ATI Graphics Drivers installed wrong driver in place." Very odd..

sk1939

Distinguished
Thank you for the links and great info. So if I wanted to upgrade the graphics card in my CPU, would I also have to get a different motherboard? I am willing to spend whatever to upgrade my system. I was also looking at a 900 w power supply but I don't know if it would fit.

Thanks for the great answers!

If your motherboard dosen't have PCIe then yes you would have to upgrade your motherboard, at which point you should just get a new computer. 900W is overkill, and you should look at a reputable brand besides.....Corsair, Antec, PC Power and Cooling....

G

Well thanks for all the great info, I really think I am just gonna get a new CPU. Keep the one I have now for work and storage and then get a great gaming PC. Maybe with the Intel i7-930 chipset. What would be the best graphics card for this?