Can I use three displays with this card?

Hi I am looking for a cheap card that can drive three displays (extended desktop not that fancy eyefinity stuff)

I do not game at all, i just have 3 24" monitors that I want to use at the same to email, tweet, etc.


All three of my monitors are 1920x1200.

I was looking at this card: XFX Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX27158%28ME%29.aspx

I am wondering if I can connect 1 via HDMI, 1 via DVI, and use a converter to connect a second DVI via the DisplayPort.

Will this work? Can you recommend another card.

Oh, also my powersupply is only 350 watts :)
17 answers Last reply
More about displays card
  1. It'll surely work.. Although for a little extra, you get a HD 5770 with two dual link DVI ports and 1 HDMI thus taking care of your needs without needing any adapter..
  2. Emperus said:
    It'll surely work.. Although for a little extra, you get a HD 5770 with two dual link DVI ports and 1 HDMI thus taking care of your needs without needing any adapter..


    don't listen to this guy, the card can't output 3 displays with dvi/hdmi, only 2, to get three there are 2 ways to do it, get a active displayport to dvi(or hdmi) adapter (should be around $100) or the third monitor has to be analog (VGA port)

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=330-5521#Overview

    that is the kind of displayport to dvi adapter you need

    EDIT: the 5670 should be able to do this just fine

    EDIT2: the reason you can only have 2 dvi/hdmi monitors on one card is because the cards only have 2 TMDS chips
  3. It will only do two displays. I have used a ton of these so far and really was hoping they did 3, but they don't. The 5770 and up will do the trick, but you have to get the right card and probably will have to have at least one displayport monitor. You can't use a regular Display Port to DVI adapter.
  4. Thank you mindless728 for the info.. I was collecting info after my post as i got doubt and found out that an active port is needed for the third display.. Your response came before i could edit mine.. Sorry for the mishap..
  5. Emperus said:
    Thank you mindless728 for the info.. I was collecting info after my post as i got doubt and found out that an active port is needed for the third display.. Your response came before i could edit mine.. Sorry for the mishap..


    no problem, though honestly they should have added a third TMDS, then you wouldn't need any adapters
  6. multiscreenz said:
    It will only do two displays. I have used a ton of these so far and really was hoping they did 3, but they don't. The 5770 and up will do the trick, but you have to get the right card and probably will have to have at least one displayport monitor. You can't use a regular Display Port to DVI adapter.


    ATI Radeon HD 5670

    Quote:

    ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology2,3

    * Three independent display controllers
    o Drive three displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
    * Display grouping
    o Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display


    should work as long as you have a displayport on the 5670
  7. That stinks (the fact that the adapters are $100). Is a DisplayPort to VGA adapter cheaper?

    Mindless728 the link you posted to Dell didn't work :)
  8. LyndonReid said:
    That stinks (the fact that the adapters are $100). Is a DisplayPort to VGA adapter cheaper?

    Mindless728 the link you posted to Dell didn't work :)


    link works for me

    try this
  9. I think it's detecting I am from Canada and not showing it:
    Our apologies...

    The product you have selected is not currently available for online purchase in the segment you have selected.

    Also do you know if there any reasonably priced cards (NVidia or ATI) that will support three displays?
  10. LyndonReid said:
    I think it's detecting I am from Canada and not showing it:
    Our apologies...

    The product you have selected is not currently available for online purchase in the segment you have selected.

    Also do you know if there any reasonably priced cards (NVidia or ATI) that will support three displays?


    I'm from the US and I can't get it to show either lol. Really it used to be that no card would support 3 displays, you would need two cards. Nowadays, I would say that any card that runs Eyefinity tech should be able to do three displays, likewise if it has multiple display ports.

    I know that most of the Quadro and Fire cards support at least 3 displays, but consumer graphics wise I'm not sure.

    You could try this or this if you can afford it.
  11. sk1939 said:
    I'm from the US and I can't get it to show either lol. Really it used to be that no card would support 3 displays, you would need two cards. Nowadays, I would say that any card that runs Eyefinity tech should be able to do three displays, likewise if it has multiple display ports.

    I know that most of the Quadro and Fire cards support at least 3 displays, but consumer graphics wise I'm not sure.

    You could try this or this if you can afford it.


    as long as the card is from the 5xxx series and has a displayport (maybe except the 54xx), it can do 3 displays (some restrictions apply)

    what i would do is this, get a passive display port -> dvi adapter (should be like $20 or so), and then use a dvi->vga adapter on one of the dvi ports
    this would give you 3 displays 1 dvi, 1 hdmi (which you can turn into dvi), and another dvi from the passive adapter

    you don't need one of those expensive cards, or two cards

    EDIT:
    this 5650 comes with the passive adapter and the dvi->vga adapter you should need

    EDIT2: @sk1939, the 5750 wouldn't work either, same problem, you can only have 2 dvi/hdmi outputs from one of those cards (only 2 TMDS chips, i have to say this again...), so the third would have to be vga or activ display port->dvi adapter (expensive)
  12. mindless728 sweet so if I use one of displays with VGA adaptor then the DVI adapter does not have to be active? Weird :). Think that is what I will do. My one monitor has has an HDMI connection so I am good there :).
  13. its because analog doesn't use the TMDS that dvi/hdmi needs
  14. mindless728 said:
    as long as the card is from the 5xxx series and has a displayport (maybe except the 54xx), it can do 3 displays (some restrictions apply)

    what i would do is this, get a passive display port -> dvi adapter (should be like $20 or so), and then use a dvi->vga adapter on one of the dvi ports
    this would give you 3 displays 1 dvi, 1 hdmi (which you can turn into dvi), and another dvi from the passive adapter

    you don't need one of those expensive cards, or two cards

    EDIT:
    this 5650 comes with the passive adapter and the dvi->vga adapter you should need

    EDIT2: @sk1939, the 5750 wouldn't work either, same problem, you can only have 2 dvi/hdmi outputs from one of those cards (only 2 TMDS chips, i have to say this again...), so the third would have to be vga or activ display port->dvi adapter (expensive)


    Ah yes ok, I forgot about the stupid TMDS/active adaptor problem.
  15. like i said, it would have saved a lot of people time and effort had they used 3 TMDS's instead of 2, then we could have 3 dvi/hdmi (or use a passive adapter)
  16. mindless728 said:
    like i said, it would have saved a lot of people time and effort had they used 3 TMDS's instead of 2, then we could have 3 dvi/hdmi (or use a passive adapter)

    Come to think of it, even the Quadros have this problem,

    Display Support:
    Dual Link DVI-I 1
    DisplayPort 2
    # of Digital Outputs 3
    ( 2 out of 3 active at a time )
    # of Analog Outputs 1
    Maximum Display Resolution Digital @ 60Hz 2560x1600
  17. sk1939 said:
    Come to think of it, even the Quadros have this problem,

    Display Support:
    Dual Link DVI-I 1
    DisplayPort 2
    # of Digital Outputs 3
    ( 2 out of 3 active at a time )
    # of Analog Outputs 1
    Maximum Display Resolution Digital @ 60Hz 2560x1600


    i didn't even look up the quadro's since i assumed that any of them would have been too expensive
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Displays Graphics Product