Soundblaster + GTX480 + HDMI= confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephis

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hey guys I have another question for you I have not been able to find a direct answer to.

I have a GTX480 and a Soundblaster XFI fatal1ty on an ASUS P6X58D

I am trying to figure out a way to run the audio from the sound card into the video card in order to let me use the HDMI cable and hook it to my HDTV.

I have an old but functional stereo hooked up to my HDTV, old as in 10 years+, so there is no spdif input on it only a set of RCA jacks which I have the analog from the TV hooked into. So its either find a way to run the audio from the soundblaster through the HDMI on the video card or replace the stereo. Frankly I really dont want to spend another $300-$500 on a home theater speaker system but I will if I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance

Solution

The GTX480 does not have a SPIDF connector as the audio is run internally, the pass thru was on the earlier cards.

mephis

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
From what I have read, on forums and in the video card manual, you can connect the spdif from the motherboard "or your sound card" to the video card. Nvidia uses a pass through tech to allow you to run said audio through the video's HDMI.

No my TV does not have an optical port, guess that kinda leaves me with getting a cheap HT system.

geekforhire

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
The HDMI specification includes audio and video. However, not all HDMI cards have the ability to produce sound. Check the card specifications and see whether it produces sound, in addition to copious amounts of GPU resources.

The GTX480 does not have a SPIDF connector as the audio is run internally, the pass thru was on the earlier cards.

Solution
Older NVIDIA cards could connect via SPDIF to a soundcard, but this implementation limited you to SPDIF standards (2.0 PCM or 5.1 Dolby/DTS audio).

I don't know how the GTX 480 handles it, but its probably the same way ATI does (internally) with a seprate audio driver. Can anyone confirm?

There isn't a SPIDF connector next to the power connectors, thats a locking tab for the HSF.

03_480_frt_big.jpg

10_480_frn_big.jpg

NestoreG75

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011

Everyone who posted a reply to this is a moron and reflects the stupid 'look at what I wrote but I'm full of crap and have no idea' attitude on the net these days.

If you have a GTX480, you can route sound through it by looking at your sound devices and either selecting the device that is connected to the GTX480 via the HDMI cable, or the Speakers
- Creatice XiFi

Idiot below who says you can't route sound though the GTX is an ignorant moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.