Sudden rise in E8400 CPU temps

antespo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
For the first time since i had my computer (about a year) it hit the temperature warning. Its just a long beep that goes off when my cpu goes over 70c which i set in the bios. my computer barely ever got to 60c (it only gets to 60c if i use prime 95). So it first happened when i was playing a game and had my e8400 overclocked to 3.6ghz and with in mins of starting the game i hit 70c and heard a the beep so i turned off my computer. The funny thing is that i was playing the game yesterday with the same exact settings (for the game and my computer) for hours and i never hit the 70c warning. so i set my computer back to stock and ran prime 95 and my cpu still works its way up to 70c. how can my cpu suddenly run hotter?

I have an e8400 and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. My ambient room temp is about 24-26c. idle temp is about 35c and has always been since summer. I just cleaned my whole computer like 2 weeks ago and i just reseated my cpu cooler and it still gets to 70c. (i keep on saying cpu but iam talking about the cores)

Edit: It hit 80c in about 2 mins when running prime 95 on the max heat setting

Edit: Problem was me not knowing how to properly put a cpu cooler on. I have the ver. 2 of the ACF7P so it came with a mount that you push button press in and then the cooler screws into that. the push pins are 2 separate pieces and instead of putting the first part in and having the mount sit on the motherboard i put both piece in at the same time causing the mount to sit a little above the motherboard and also making it able to move around more than it should. I had the cooler like ever since i got it so i guess recently it moved enough to cause a big temp increase. O ya having the cooling like this lets it move around but it was still tight and that's why i didn't notice when i reseated the cooler, stupid me.

Solution
Did you remove and replace the CPU cooler?
Did you remove and replace the CPU cooler?

Solution

antespo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I was getting the higher temps before and after i reseated the cpu cooler and yes i cleaned off the old thermal compound. I used alcohol to get it all off and i put article silver 5 on which was on there before also

antespo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
sorry for the slow replay i thought it would say you posted back in me email which it didn't. i have had my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for about 7 month and i don't think it came with anything on it.

your don't seem to follow what i am saying so i will say it again basically my cpu was running cooler the day before now it goes to 70c on load.(without me doing anything to the computer) the only think i can think of is that my sensor went bad but i don't really know so that's why I'm here

I think the sensor is working. If the sensor had gone bad you'd expect no reported temps or really strange value - not something like 70C. Using AS5 usually means temps should be improving as it cures.

That gray patch on the AC Freezer 7 Pro is the pre-applied thermal compound.
ac-freezer7-backside.jpg

antespo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
ya i remember now it did come with thermal compound but i reseated the cooler and i cleaned ever bit of the compound off with alcohol and but my AS5 on

Edit: i run prime 95 again on the maximum heat one and now it hit 80c!! i don't know whats happening but i guess its getting worst. Is my cooler bad?

I'm not coming up with any ideas beyond a problem with the CPU causing it to run hotter.

You might want to pop over into the Overclocking forum and post the question there. They do more work with overclocked CPUs and core temps.

Just use a more descriptive topic title. The 'Cpu temperature' title you're using here might not be attracting the right people who know more about this type of thing.

Try 'Sudden rise in E8400 CPU temps' for example. (you can even edit your topic title here if you want)

antespo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Okay, thank you very much for your help.

antespo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

lol just edit your first post and the title bar with be on top like when your making a new topic