Sign in with
Your question

[New System Build] What do you think about this build

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2010 8:12:36 PM

I want to be able to watch hd videos, internet, word processing, and very little gaming things like age of empires 2 or online poker.

This is everything I need and let me know if there some changes I can make to make it better. Or maybe let me know if I am better off downgrading to save money.

$173 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
$95 - Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AMD 785G HDMI mTX Motherboard
$105 - A-DATA 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$50 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$25 - LG GH22NS50 DVD Burner
$42 - Antec Earthwatts Green EA380D 380W PSU
$60 - Antec 300 ATX Case
$200 - Acer H243Hbmid 24" LCD Monitor
$87 - D-Link Xtreme N DWA-556 PCI Express Desktop Adapter

So this is everything I need (will be buying a couple 120mm fans for the case) and I chose to just use the onboard video card with the motherboard seeing as I won't be doing any hardcore gaming. And if you guys have other suggestions please use one of the two sites I used above.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Manny

More about : system build build

a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 11:38:45 PM

I would get a newer motherboard with USB3.
GA-880GM-USB3, GA-785GMT-USB3

I believe that is an old twin 250GB platter HDD model. The newer single 500GB platter Samsung F3 and Seagate 7200.12 are much faster (twice as dense platters means twice as much data read in the same rotation).

You might see if newegg.ca has a combo with the 380PSU and antec 300 illusion model so you can get the front fans already installed and save money. Since you dont have a graphics card, you probably dont need the front fans and could go with an antec 200 also.

I prefer USB wireless cards because they are cheap, easy to move and easy to replace. My experience with internal wireless cards has been that they are no more reliable, more expensive and much harder to work with.
m
l
June 8, 2010 12:18:12 AM

I'll second getting the newer mobo, might aswel jump on the usb3 bandwagon now

As for the ram, you might as well go for a faster set at no extra cost
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820227483

I'll also agree on the HDD, single platter samsung 500GB is the way to go

CPU wise, if you are not goning to be gaming or heavily tasking it, you might aswel drop down to an Athlon x4, you would save loads, and it still is quad core!
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

And finally, i do quite like the idea of internal network adapters, one less thing to lose, and break off
If you do decide to go for an interal one, then dont bother buying one with a PCIe x1 adapter on it, waaaay too much bandwidth
Save the money and get a bog standard PCI one, there is no way a network stream will staurate the bandwidth
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 9:46:36 AM

K thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

I totally did not realize my mobo didn't have USB 3.0 capabilities and I would have definitely been kicking myself once I found out on my own.

As for the HDD I see you both agreed upon the samsung f3, but I found the Seagate 7200.12 500GB at apower for $50 and thought I'd be better to pick this up and not have to pay shipping fees.

http://www.a-power.com/product-5613

When it comes down to samsung or seagate does it really matter? Or would you advise I go with the samsung 500gb?
m
l
June 8, 2010 12:58:22 PM

I prefer samsung drives personally, i've had bad experiences with seagates breaking on me, and i find that the new samsung drives are a bit faster and a hell of a lot quieter than the seagates
(just be sure to get samsung drives with 500gb platters) either
m
l
June 8, 2010 7:37:15 PM

K, I think I'm just going to get the 1TB samsung f3.

Thanks a lot to you two, helped me cut down and some things and then I had some money to upgrade the others.

Thanks!!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2010 8:58:15 PM

My old seagate 7200.9 is far louder than my F3. Some people complain about a hum from their F3s and say their seagates are quieter, which seems to be from how its mounted in some cases. Im not sure it makes much difference.
m
l
June 10, 2010 12:31:27 AM

Hey philly you mentioned how that wireless pci card has way too much bandwidth. I was just leaning towards that one because my router is in the basement and im up on the 2nd floor and from reading review it seemed as though I'd get the best connection with that. Do you have any idea about that?
m
l
June 10, 2010 12:48:28 AM

Sorry if i didnt make myself clear, its a bit complex
Its all to do with the interface on the board
To get the best wireless connection, you would need to go 802.11 N, as that would reach from your basement up.

802.11 N has a max speed of 300Mbps (bits)
A standard (long) PCI connector on the board has a max speed of 266 MB/s (bytes)
So as you can see, the wireless wont saturate the PCI connection.

The card you speccced runs on PCIe x1, which in turn has a max speed of 4 GB/s (Bytes), which has an even faster connection

So there is no need to buy a PCIe x1 network adapter when a far cheaper PCI card will do exactly the same job. To boost the wireless range, you need an 802.11 N router and card, and mybe wireless access points inbetween if that doesnt work

Hope this clears it up
m
l
June 10, 2010 1:18:32 AM

Ahhh I see what you mean. Unless I upgrade my G router to N there really is no point for me to use that d link.
m
l
!